how much would it cost to sleeve a block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
SScamino said:
Yea you can bore out a diesel motor, the oversize pistons are expensive are though but so are diesel's haha. You can bore the sleeves in a gas motor too.

You can say that again, one injector (takes 8 ) for my 7.3 powerstroke is almost 370 dollars dealer or retail price at most parts outlets. I can get them for about 230 brand new... But it's because I get a pretty hefty discount from work. But still that's over 1800 bucks to replace them all, 2960 without discount, before 6% sales tax, and core charge of 170 dollars each. Out the door no labor parts alone would be 4579 dollars. :shock: Of course you'd get back almost 1400 bucks when you return the cores, but still... Insane.

But yeah my 7.3 engine doesn't have sleeves, I don't think any diesels made for light truck applications have sleeves... I think they're mostly just in big commercial size engines. I could be wrong though.

kornball426 said:
SScamino said:
Yea you can bore out a diesel motor, the oversize pistons are expensive are though but so are diesel's haha. You can bore the sleeves in a gas motor too.

You can say that again, one injector (takes 8) for my 7.3 powerstroke is almost 370 dollars dealer or retail price at most parts outlets. I can get them for about 230 brand new... But it's because I get a pretty hefty discount from work. But still that's over 1800 bucks to replace them all, 2960 without discount, before 6% sales tax, and core charge of 170 dollars each. Out the door no labor parts alone would be 4579 dollars. :shock: Of course you'd get back almost 1400 bucks when you return the cores, but still... Insane.

But yeah my 7.3 engine doesn't have sleeves, I don't think any diesels made for light truck applications have sleeves... I think they're mostly just in big commercial size engines. I could be wrong though.

All the pickup diesels that have been built in the past 30 yrs or so do not have sleeves and they can be bored, all big truck, class 6 to 8 diesel engines have sleeves, you can purchase the sleeves, pistons rods rings all seperate and not in a pack and the sleeve contacts the water jacket in about the middle of the sleeve that is why they have o rings on the sleeves to prevent antifreeze from leaking into the oil pan and other places. The reason you can get an over size piston in most big diesels is to change the cubic inch displacement, some like the detroit came with the same block but different cubic inch displacement.

I closed my engine shop in June of 2006. At that time, I was charging $90 per hole to install sleeves, plus the cost of the sleeve, typically less than 20 bucks at the time. Dollar wise, its not practical to sleeve a whole block unless it is rare as hens teeth.
Depending on who does the work, the block may need decked when your done. Also, don't count on just sleeving one hole, and putting it back together. It has to be sleeved, then the rest of the cylinders bored to the next oversize. Otherwise, the adjoining cylinders to the sleeve, will NOT be round anymore, and you will burn oil and maybe tear up another hole.

I thought all the detroits in a series had the same bore out of the factory. Like 71 series each cylinder is 71 cubic inches, bore is the same on all of them and the stroke is 5 inches (same for the 92, 5 inch stroke). And the rating system is the same for 53, 92, 110, and 149 series... The bigger number denotes the displacement per cylinder, with a prefix ranging from 2 to 24 and a V for a V block like 6v71, or just 671 for an inline block. I don't know anything about the 4 stroke 60 series, but I thought the two stroke engines were all standard bore and stroke, and you just picked your displacement by 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 or 24 cylinders. Which of course the 16 and 24 are just two V8's or V12's bolted together. I've also heard of two V6's bolted together to make a V12 before they made a V12 block. Obviously though, the 92 is just a modified 71 with a much bigger bore if that's what you mean. You could probably convert a 71 to a 92 with new sleeves and pistons. But if you look up parts you can find over bore pistons for Detroits... They're really expensive, but they're available.

I've always wanted a 6 or 8v71 in a pick up truck, with a huge turbo, huge injectors, and intercooler... There would be so much torque you wouldn't even need gears. Just start out in overdrive. :lol:

kornball426 said:
I thought all the detroits in a series had the same bore out of the factory. Like 71 series each cylinder is 71 cubic inches, bore is the same on all of them and the stroke is 5 inches (same for the 92, 5 inch stroke). And the rating system is the same for 53, 92, 110, and 149 series... The bigger number denotes the displacement per cylinder, with a prefix ranging from 2 to 24 and a V for a V block like 6v71, or just 671 for an inline block. I don't know anything about the 4 stroke 60 series, but I thought the two stroke engines were all standard bore and stroke, and you just picked your displacement by 2, 4, 6, 8, 12, 16 or 24 cylinders. Which of course the 16 and 24 are just two V8's or V12's bolted together. I've also heard of two V6's bolted together to make a V12 before they made a V12 block. Obviously though, the 92 is just a modified 71 with a much bigger bore if that's what you mean. You could probably convert a 71 to a 92 with new sleeves and pistons. But if you look up parts you can find over bore pistons for Detroits... They're really expensive, but they're available.

I've always wanted a 6 or 8v71 in a pick up truck, with a huge turbo, huge injectors, and intercooler... There would be so much torque you wouldn't even need gears. Just start out in overdrive. :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPyp9dgHkw0

kornball426 said:

On the 6v series 2 strokes all of the above you mentioned was true, I'm more familiar with the 60 series, most of them if you changed the liner and piston you could change the displacement, all the blocks and cranks were the same as far as I know but the number was the cubic inch per bore as you stated above. There are actually a few people that are making these conversions with the detroit, massive torque. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor