how much would it cost to sleeve a block?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya sleeves are used in many diesels. they are the material that is inserted into the block and becomes the actual cylinder, the advantage is that when serious damages happens to the engine they can replace sleeves rather than machining the block. its all about repair costs for the diesels

ERIC87442 said:
84cutlassjuggalo said:
theoretically speaking wouldn't a .050 boar (if possible) remove the .030 gash
no, to take .030 off one side of the cylinder you have to take .030 off the other side of the cylinder, so .060 total

I've never been told what exactly boaring is or how its done so is boaring like lets say .040 on a motor simply boaring .020 on the left cylinder and .020 on the right to equal .040 total (simple math right)?

I was told the 355 in my cutlass was a 305 boared .030 to make it 355 so my general understanding is that a 305 and 350 small black are the same size and boring is talking about the cylinder walls and pistons so the 4 left pistons were boared .015 and the right 4 were boared .015 to equal the .030. What im confused about is how is a .030 boar able to increase the piston sizes 50 ?

Sorry for high jacking the thread eric87442 but i wasn't sure exactly what the topic was about and figured this may be a good topic to help increase my knowledge.

You got lied to if someone told you that they bored your 305 .30 over to get a 355. Maybe you meant 350? A .30 over 305 would be a 310 I forget it's bore it's like 3.785 something. A 350 has a 4 inch bore and when bored .30 over it's a 355.

You'd have to bore the living snot out of of a 305 to make it a 355... I don't even know if it's possible? I don't see why anyone would bother to try when they could just buy a 350 block to begin with.

Sleeves are just steel cylinders... That have an inner diameter to match the pistons you're using, and they bore out of the block to fit the outer diameter of the sleeve, and then press the sleeve into the block. Sometimes they're like epoxied into place to keep them from coming loose, others are just pressed friction fit. Lots of small engines have sleeves, dirt bikes, chainsaws, lawn mowers, out boards, motorcycles, etc. It's usually used when the jug (cylinder) is made of aluminum. Since aluminum is relatively soft it won't hold up to the wear of a piston going up and down, so they line aluminum cylinders with steel for better wear resistance and I think it reduces friction.

High performance two strokes now often don't have sleeves, anymore they have "Nikasil" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikasil plated cylinders. It's lighter, conducts/transfers/dissipates heat more efficiently, and is typically considered to have lower friction than steel, and longer service life. But it's fragile, and if it's not done perfectly it can peel or flake... And it costs like 250 bucks to have a cylinder re-plated as opposed to a 25 dollar honing, or 45 dollar next oversize bore job.

And like redsx2434 said, almost all large diesel engines have sleeves... they're not tight press fit (I mean they're relatively tight, but they can be removed in the chassis of the truck most of the time). They're held in by mechanical means (bolts, clamping pressure, etc.) This is so when you've bored your stock sleeves to the limit, you can put new ones in and start from a fresh standard bore. This theoretically makes the life of the engine nearly indefinite, not that it matters as most heavy diesels get replaced with more efficient or powerful designs before their useful life is used up. Or the rest of the truck around the engine rots away or gets destroyed. There's lots of semi trucks running around with a million miles on them and up.

Heavy truck diesel engines are not "sleeved" They actually have removable cylinder "packs" (cylinder,piston,rings,pre-assembled) . And they don't get bored,they get replaced. $200-$400 per cylinder. The cylinder pack is actually the waterjacket as well,and only contacts the engine block at the deck and the base of the block. On an over-the-road truck the rebuild interval is around 1000000 miles. Just saying this, because diesel "sleeves" are quite different than what is being discussed in a gas engine.

Are you sure they don't get bored dude? They sell oversize pistons for Detroit Diesels, and other big diesels. I can't see why they would do that if you don't bore the sleeves?

But yeah that's not the point of this thread... Sorry to hijack. :lol:

Yea you can bore out a diesel motor, the oversize pistons are expensive are though but so are diesel's haha. You can bore the sleeves in a gas motor too.

so, about 1500 to 2000 i can get my engine redone sleeved or bored over what ever works best, thats new bearings head work, new pistons balanced decked, all that good stuff, does this sound good?

Sounds about right for a rebuild. Around here I got all my engine work which included honing, baking, washing, cam bearings, freeze plugs for 243.47 bucks. My engine was already bored .40 over but If I wanted it bored it was like 140 bucks more I think? Sleeving a block around here is a 100-150 dollar job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor