How to clean the engine bay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Purple Power can be found in most auto parts stores atleast around here anyway. We carry a Zep product called Mechanical Degreaser iirc at Home Depot by the gallon. I used that on my engine, trans, rear end, floors, and my original carpet. It works good and goes a long way. I would look at that.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
I have the gunk engine degreaser. Seems like it was working great today when I was cleaning it a bit. Also have the gunk engine shine. So with the distributor an carb covered I can spray the degreaser everywhere else? Same with the hose ?

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Lorenzo said:
I have the gunk engine degreaser. Seems like it was working great today when I was cleaning it a bit. Also have the gunk engine shine. So with the distributor an carb covered I can spray the degreaser everywhere else? Same with the hose ?
Try to keep water and degreaser off of electrical stuff like relays. Your gonna have standing water on the manifold when your done. Try to soak up as much as possible with paper towels before you start the motor so it wont steam up and create cold spots on the manifold. rather than using a jet stream, I use a fan nozzle so the splatter is limited.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
bill said:
Lorenzo said:
Try to keep water and degreaser off of electrical stuff like relays. Your gonna have standing water on the manifold when your done. Try to soak up as much as possible with paper towels before you start the motor so it wont steam up and create cold spots on the manifold. rather than using a jet stream, I use a fan nozzle so the splatter is limited.

Okay, where would the relays be located??

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Lorenzo said:
bill said:
Lorenzo said:

Okay, where would the relays be located??
Anything square with wires running to it is a relay or switch...usually located on the firewall or fenders

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
Problem I'm having is keeping mine clean. I had good luck with this product on my harley. Tried it on my engine compartment it worked even better!

Attachments

• 1291072494original_bike_spirits_spray_cleaner_polish_-_product_evaluation.jpg
    1291072494original_bike_spirits_spray_cleaner_polish_-_product_evaluation.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 540

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
ZZ4CutlaSS said:
Problem I'm having is keeping mine clean. I had good luck with this product on my harley. Tried it on my engine compartment it worked even better!
Where do you get it?

ZZ4CutlaSS

Master Mechanic
Jun 11, 2011
Minnesota
bill said:
ZZ4CutlaSS said:
Where do you get it?
I found it at my Harley dealer and Advance auto parts.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ok ill take a look at the engine more tomorrow and try to find relays and cover them up. Cant wait to get this finished just in time for the new carb to come in :D. Correct me if im wrong but i should not get any degreaser on the belts? Would water be fine on the belts because i dont see how i can prevent this from happening :p

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Lorenzo said:
Ok ill take a look at the engine more tomorrow and try to find relays and cover them up. Cant wait to get this finished just in time for the new carb to come in :D. Correct me if im wrong but i should not get any degreaser on the belts? Would water be fine on the belts because i dont see how i can prevent this from happening :p
water and degreaser wont hurt the belts but you may hear a squeal or two out of them till they're dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor