How to Fix Worn Out Hinge (with pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

klaird

Apprentice
May 14, 2013
Ok so any of us who works on these cars knows that 99% of the time, the problem with a sagging door is because the pins/bushings have worn out and in most cases the pin has created an egg-shaped (oblong) hole in the hinge bracket and thus needs to be repaired. Don't spend $ buying a new set of hinges if all you need to do is fix the hole. The process is relatively simple and only takes a few tools. You will only need a welder and at least one round (rat tail) metal file and a bench clamp or vise. After countless trips to junkyard and finding every hinge looking the same, I just completed my first damaged hinge this evening so this is fresh on my mind and I'd thought I'd share with the group. I by no means am an expert metal worker. If I can do it, you can do it! I have a basic MIG welder (Eastwood 135). First step is to clean up the hole by sanding it to assure good weld adhesion. On my set up, I had the wire speed set to 6 and Heat Setting on F. The first time I tried this fix, I welded the entire hole closed and then tried to redrill the hole. That didn't work so well. My weld material was harder than the drill bits I was using and I burned through too many bits. THIS PROCESS IS MUCH EASIER THAN THAT. What you need to do is build up the worn out part of the hinge. Only put a few spots of weld in the area that is worn out. Then take a 3/8" round file and start working the hole so that it becomes round again. Then grind the excess off so the bushings will seat entirely. If you want to be exact, take a large drill bit and reshape the beveled edge to properly seat the bushings to finish up. If you look close on the pics, you can see where the new filler material was added. It doesn't have to be perfect, but if you put a new bushing in a worn out eggshaped hole, you will be very disappointed in the outcome. All in all, the entire process took me about an hour. Attached are some pics of the worn out hinge hole and a couple pics afterward with the bushings pressed in place just like new. Now I have a like new hinge and it's ready for primer and paint.

Attachments

• worn out hinge hole.jpg
    worn out hinge hole.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 460
  • corrected hole with small bushing.JPG
    corrected hole with small bushing.JPG
    693.2 KB · Views: 473
  • large hole.JPG
    large hole.JPG
    769.2 KB · Views: 447
GREAT WORK! i have stock piled around 15 upper hinges from 4-door sedan/wagon gbodies, :wink: they are less prone to wear as they are lighter.

I hate to think how many of these worn out hinges have gotten thrown out simply for this reason :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor