how to make low beams stay on in high beam mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
in my 79 MC, if i unplug the high beam switch under the column, all the lights light up. perhaps some kind of modified cutoff switch will make it work...

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
You don't think the circuit would be overloaded? Got a fire extinguisher?

yourownself

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2008
stoughton, ma
mine never did. i drove for a few days with them on before i noticed it in a window (in the desert, there's noone to flash you back when your high beams are on) i wound up unplugging the middle lamps until i could find a g-body in a boneyard to pull a switch out of.
if you're really worried about overloading the circuit, do a little bit of wiring, and make sure you're fuse is a low enough rating that it'll blow before things get to exciting 8)

dlc1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2008
New Jersey
I bought and installed a box (relay) on my '87 4-4-2 years ago to do this very thing. Don't remember where I bought it, but it basically connected the 12v on the Hi beam to the Lo beam 12v wire whenever the Hi beam was on. Has worked for over 20 years without a problem.

One could wire up a 30 amp Bosch type relay to do the same thing pretty easily, IMHO.

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
Run a jumper from the "highside" to the "lowside" with a diode inline.

The diode will allow the h/s to turn on the l/s but not visa versa.

You should be able to get one for a couple bucks at Radio Shack.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
There are harnasses made to do this very thing. High Beam Headlight Relay Kits, I do believe Painless Wiring makes one that can be used with some modification - assuming you don't want to make your own.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Run a jumper from the "highside" to the "lowside" with a diode inline.

The diode will allow the h/s to turn on the l/s but not visa versa.

You should be able to get one for a couple bucks at Radio Shack.

I know this is an old topic, but what rating (if thats the right word idk) diode would I need to do this. Figured i'd use an old topic instead of making a new one.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor