how to swap 200r-4 on a three speed column

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
Other than the obvious, that it wont indicate the overdrive, will it even work? Do I HAVE to swap the steering column or gauge package? Is it easy or hard? Right now I have the metric 3 speed and want to do the overdrive when I do the motor.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Larryg said:
Other than the obvious, that it wont indicate the overdrive, will it even work? Do I HAVE to swap the steering column or gauge package? Is it easy or hard? Right now I have the metric 3 speed and want to do the overdrive when I do the motor.

Column works 3&4 speed, the linkage from the column to the trans is different, it is possible to swap out the "PRNDSL"
in the cluster, PITA because of getting the pull wire the right length, but possible.

Larryg

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2008
western Mass
So I should make sure if I get a correct gauge package, that I also get the correct column linkage? I've seen plenty of the OD gauge packs, I didnt realize there was a specific linkage involved as well. Thanks.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
my 82 had a 305 and 700r4 installed already when I bought it, and column/guage panel still original to car... it will work, you'll just have to get the adjustment right when you install, and count the clicks on the column when you put it in gear... at least that's what I've always done... :mrgreen:

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
I forgot about this the other day, but some clusters such as the olds, the "PRNDL" is not removable, the chevy (at least the one that was on mine) is separate from the cluster and can be swapped out, either way, just remember to get the wire (cable) that runs between the column and the "PRNDL".

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor