hydro boost bla bla

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
anecdotal I know, but I've had the HB in mine that came from the factory (former) diesel and never had a problem with the PS or the HB until recently the PS pump seal let go (and I still have to fix it) ... no cooler, but I can't say I've ever tested the temps to see how hot it gets. Only thing I don't like about it is when the cars not running you're basically screwed, unless you almost literally stand on it. Otherwise it stops *now* with the HB.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
anecdotal I know, but I've had the HB in mine that came from the factory (former) diesel and never had a problem with the PS or the HB until recently the PS pump seal let go (and I still have to fix it) ... no cooler, but I can't say I've ever tested the temps to see how hot it gets. Only thing I don't like about it is when the cars not running you're basically screwed, unless you almost literally stand on it. Otherwise it stops *now* with the HB.
This.

My dually apparently had a bad fuel level sensor when I 1st got it. I was exiting the highway to get gas since it was getting low & the engine dies on the exit ramp while still @ a pretty decent speed. I hit the brakes & absolutely NOTHING as far as assist. I'm dbl footing the brake pedal while simultaneously pissing myself as I roll through the light trying to stop the freakin' thing.
Scary doesn't describe it.

In the end, I learned the truck never should have passed the safety inspection as there were no rear brakes. As in the brake shoe brackets were eating into the drums no brakes. At least w/vacuum assist, you have 1 or 2 additional stabs @ the pedal w/some help. The vacuum set-up I swapped to was cheap vs replacing everything the HB required; cleaner as far as the visual 'wants', & works just fine for my lighter duty needs (20' open car trailer w/a C10 swb truck as the max load). Unloaded, the vacuum assist locks up front & rears.

Reactions: 1 users

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello people: Bottom line is when brakes work there great but when they don't they suck. I've had two power masters fail but I still could stop with alot of effort. With my HB one hose let go in an area that should of never and I had nothing althou someone said that if the PS fails you should still have some as the MC is a backup. Well that did not work for me so that might be BS. I also had a 94 Astro van and never did much to the brakes but I never knew it had HB but it did and it never failed. I had over 300K on that van before I donated it. Funny it did need brake work thou.
IBBY

Reactions: 1 user

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
hello people: I was searching around and alot truck guys have a cooler or put one on especially if going off road. Also road racers use a cooler but for me and the street it might not be needed. For the limited time I've driven the latest HB set up those lines get hot...When I first put on the HB I never touched the lines so maybe the heat has always been there? Funny that gets you to think of maybe a syn. PS fluid could be the the way to go but not cheap..
IBBY
Yes, in addition to the cooler , I’ve also switched to synthetic PS fluid which is helpful

Reactions: 1 user

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
Yes, in addition to the cooler , I’ve also switched to synthetic PS fluid which is helpful
hell people: I recently bought a gallon of PS fluid and plan to change it more than I should then after that I might make the switch to syn. Unless the price is outrageous.
IBBY

1KWIKSIX

Greasemonkey
Jun 26, 2017
Mississauga , Ontario, Canada
Here’s the synthetic fluid you wanna get

BELLELJ1981

Greasemonkey
Jul 7, 2012
5.7 liter Diesel in Greenville Nc
My 81 Grand Prix has hydro boost. She’s still a diesel. One day the car cut off on me and it was all I could do to stop it. I almost took out an intersection.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor