I beg of you

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Great advice. Two summers ago when i swapped the TC in my monte, i spilled transmission fluid directly into my eyes. Everything worked out ok, but it was a scary experience for a few months.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
G-Body_Vet said:
Smoking underneath the car isn't a good idea either.

I was helping my uncle install a trans in his Caprice about 10 years ago and he had a cigarette in his mouth under the car. Sure enough, he moved, hit the cherry of his cigarette on the floorboard and it fell right into his nose! OMFG!!!! I've never seen anyone move so quick! He jumped out from under the car snorting like a bull trying to blow that cherry out of his nose!
Seeing that happen was absolutely hysterical!

I'm surprised he didn't end up smashing his head on the floor of the car when that happened!

stomis

Master Mechanic
May 14, 2010
Brick NJ
I think I may very well get on the 24/7 saftey glasses bandwagon. I've had metal lodged in my eye twice. Both times it was bad enough that it rusted and had to be a drilled out. The second time I lost 5-10% in my one eye, which wouldnt have been such a terrible thing if it wasnt for the fact that I had 20/20 vision previously... :evil:

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
watchdog said:
You lasted 2 weeks? I made it a day and 1/2 before I had to go get the piece yanked.

lol well i kept telling myself it'll work its way out
plus not having insurance kinda sucks $200 just to go to the walk in clinic plus $70 for the eye drops
i work at a gas station making $7.50 an hour i didnt have that kind of money so had to save up
lol pretty bad when you have to save money to go to a doctor.
but it was worth it

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
Another time when I was younger and inexperienced, I made the mistake of disconnecting a fuel line at the carb while it had pressure. I got a face full of gas. Luckily I made it to the spigot on the side of the house fast enough to flush it out of my eyes. Can't say it tasted very good either.

Some people don't take protective gear seriously, but you don't think about the long term effects. Used oil, parts cleaners, trans fluid, and even Armor-all is pretty wicked sh*t to repeatedly get on your skin. I was a helicopter mechanic for 4 years and didn't take hearing protection seriously either. I can't hear sh*t half of the time. Even excessive loud music or shooting outdoors takes it's toll eventually. You won't realize it while you're young, but wait 'til you hit 35 or so.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
dan2286 said:
The odds of having something fly in your eye while turning a ratchet or screwdriver is very unlikely.

I've had stuff fly in my eye while doing both of those things, easy to happenif you're working overhead.

Not long ago I was scratching dirt/grease off my intake with a screwdriver, right beside the thermostat housing. The damn intake was corroded from inside, nothing outside to show it. The screwdriver suddenly went through, and hot coolant squirted me right in the face. Luckily I had glasses on, but it still blistered my forehead.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
dan2286 said:
The odds of having something fly in your eye while turning a ratchet or screwdriver is very unlikely.

actually the only thing i had in my had when the piece of metal fell into my eye was a ratchet

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I can deal with the occassional spec of rust, but I allways reach for the face shield now. I was pouring battery acid from a battery into a bucket so I could fill it with fresh acid. One tiny insignificant microscopic drop of acid flew up and got me in the eye. It felt like a red hot poker was jammed into it. I flew inside and washed it out for a LONG time before I felt better. But as for pooping yourself moments, nothing beats the time I was welding under the front end and accidentally yanked the fuel line off the pump, dousing myself with gas while holding a lit acetyline torch in my hand. :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor