I beg of you

Status
Not open for further replies.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
No disrespect to you supkylesup, but I love how people become crusaders for a certain viewpoint only it effects them personally. Now, you can't open a hand or power tool package without seeing "PLEASE WEAR EYE PROTECTION" somewhere on it. I believe I have known about eye protection since at least junior high shop class. Supkylesup, I'm glad you are better now, and I wish you hadn't gone through the eye injury,but becoming the goggle police does not excuse you from being responsible for for that injury.BTW how about starting a thread about NOT waiting 2 weeks to see an eye doctor when you have shrapnel in your eye?

HILTON

Apprentice
Apr 29, 2010
Also use the right tool for the job. A few years back I was replacing a rear end in a suburban. I got down to putting the drums back together. Well I didnt have the spring tool or the money to get one. So I had a pair of needle nose pliers. Well they slipped and luckly they only hit the middle of my forhead. I had so much pressure behind them it was the first time I was seeing stars and lots of blood. :rofl:

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
Wow 79elky,
Well for starters I wasn't trying to be the "goggle police" I was just saying it as a friendly reminder because I didn't want anyone else to go through that pain.
Also as far as me waiting 2 weeks to go to the doctor.
I don't think you understand that im 19, I don't have insurance, I live by myself, and I don't have a whole lot of money.
So for me to go to the doctor I had to save up money. I couldn't just go as soon as it happened.
So thanks for your opinion but it was kind of arrogant.

79elky454ss

Greasemonkey
Sep 30, 2007
ohio
supkylesup said:
Wow 79elky,
Well for starters I wasn't trying to be the "goggle police" I was just saying it as a friendly reminder because I didn't want anyone else to go through that pain.
I don't think you understand that im 19, I don't have insurance, I live by myself, and I don't have a whole lot of money.
So for me to go to the doctor I had to save up money. I couldn't just go as soon as it happened.
I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant, but you have missed my point. Everyone knows to wear eye protection. I was pointing out the human nature aspect that makes one jump on a soapbox when something obvious hits him close to home. Sort of like a lifelong smoker who gets cancer and suddenly becomes a militant anti-smoker. Did you notice my compassion?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I look at it as a kind reminder to wear eye protection and it's more to the point with a personal example of what can happen if we don't. And having to wait 2 weeks because of a lack of money is a stark reminder of how some people have to struggle in this life. I am impressed how tempered supkylesup's reply was and how well written it was seeing he is 19.

supkylesup

Master Mechanic
Mar 7, 2010
Toledo, OH
pontiacgp said:
I look at it as a kind reminder to wear eye protection and it's more to the point with a personal example of what can happen if we don't. And having to wait 2 weeks because of a lack of money is a stark reminder of how some people have to struggle in this life. I am impressed how tempered supkylesup's reply was and how well written it was seeing he is 19.

Thanks pontiacgp, I think i'll take that as a compliment.
As far as the subject goes it was supposed to be a friendly reminder due to an unintentional mishap on my part.
Although, 79Elky i see what your saying the smoking example better explained your opinion.
I know your opinion wasn't directed towards me but more towards people in general.
Im not trying to jump on a high horse and say everyone must do it now.
Im just simply saying people forget (like i did) or they think they look silly.

So guys wear them of don't its up to you.
But remember what could happen if you don't.

85Supreme

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2009
79elky454ss said:
supkylesup said:
Wow 79elky,
I'm sorry if I came off as arrogant, but you have missed my point. Everyone knows to wear eye protection. I was pointing out the human nature aspect that makes one jump on a soapbox when something obvious hits him close to home. Sort of like a lifelong smoker who gets cancer and suddenly becomes a militant anti-smoker. Did you notice my compassion?

yes everybody knows they are supposed to wear eye protection, but not everybody actually do wear eye protection, whether it be they think it is not necessary and they are too cool for eye glasses or they just forgot.

supkylesup, thanks for the reminder, i took what happened to you into consideration while working on my cutlass this weekend and wore eye protection for even the simplest of tasks.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
i wear my safety glasses but the last time i got something in my eye was AFTER i got done using my tools and made the dumb decision to blow the dust off my container of dremel bits. iron dust is bad kids, hmmkayyyyyy? i flushed it out but damn it smarts for a couple days afterwards!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I've had metal splinters in both eyes too, now I always wear glasses when cutting, grinding, welding, etc. Too bad we have to learn the hard way.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
Thanks for the reminder supkylesup. I am already a 4-eyes so I always have glasses on anyways, but should still wear safetly goggles on top (which I do). You could've lost your eye sight, as some people have with metal flakes in the past. I will take it as a friendly reminder.

79elky454ss said:
Everyone knows to wear eye protection. I was pointing out the human nature aspect that makes one jump on a soapbox when something obvious hits him close to home. Sort of like a lifelong smoker who gets cancer and suddenly becomes a militant anti-smoker. Did you notice my compassion?
So what if he jumped on a soapbox. Human nature is to learn from hindsight. How many people died from not wearing seat belts, before it became a law? How many people died from drunk drivers, before it became illegal? How many died in a bad intersection, before traffic lights were put up? I could go on, but you get the point. Sure he should have wore it, but we all DON'T always follow these instructions, we tend to neglect them because we forget how dangerous it can be not to. A reminder is always welcome. :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor