I broke a PS box bolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Just as it says. Will running the PS box with only two mounting bolts break the others? I know the PS exerts tremendous force. I don't have time right now to remove (break?) the others and fix it right now.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
I'm going with yes. I wouldn't drive it like that except to get home as an emergency.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Those bolts are in a bad place. They rot in the middle and thin out and you can't see the damage until they have to be removed or you remove them during maintenance.

And JUST in case you need part numbers...

9430763 Bolt 5.75" long. 7/16 - 14
(2) 15590234 Bolt 4.625" long. 7/16 -14

And just in case you need them:
(3) 14074908 Washers, Special flat octagon shaped

Reactions: 3 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's for sure. I barely touched it and it snapped. But if they are so weak then I'm surprised normal usage doesn't just snap them.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They're still pretty tough. I pulled one out of the H/O when I was redoing it and it came out without issue, however the center section of the bolt was rusted away to about 1/4" thick. Scary looking.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I think this is a case where some oil leakage is a good thing. Most PS boxes I had were leaking all over and that kept the bolts oiled. This particular box was dry- and rusty.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I would say no go to driving it with two bolts other than for emergency use only. If one is rusted thin, then the other 2 aren't far behind IMO.

I have to ask, what the issue with removing them? If you own a sawzall, then pull the radiator, break the remaining two and cut them off as you slide the box out 1/2-1".

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have some good used original bolts if you need some
Thanks, but I have plenty.
I have to ask, what the issue with removing them?
Time. As in I have none. I am battling to get my little fishing boat in the water. I got Bluefish from shore already and I want to go chasing them! I had water in the lower unit at the end of last season. I took it to my dealer guy in Feb. and after two months they gave up. A bearing/seal housing right under the water pump was corroded solid. It took me 7 hours to drill/chisel/drill it out. Now I can't get the exhaust housing seal assembly out either. So this motor is down for the season. I had to remove it and mount my other motor just to get it ready for the water. Then I added a front mounted hitch to my tow vehicle. Getting parts has been a problem during the pandemic. So my wagon sits around a lot but I do use it for big parts chasing and Home Dupa runs. I just can't spend the time to remove and replace it. I probably have 6 or 7 good boxes laying around from various GM cars. I will need to search for a non-leaky one and just swap that in. Then, my wagon is an '83 which used the newer "O" ring hoses. The motor is a '79 so I kept the '79 PS pump and a '79 Firebird PS box for compatibility's sake but it used the old style hoses. I would want an old style box to replace this one and it is going to be a big job I can't dedicate time to right now. I'll just park it until I get my life squared away.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So, I am looking through my pile of crap and I came across several Saginaw PS boxes. I have some of the really old 13/16-36 spline input shaft types. I also have some later 3/4-30 spline type most of which are inverted flare hose type. Then I have a 1980 3/4-30 box with "O" ring hoses. But looking at RockAuto I see two types of boxes for my '83 Bonneville. One for F41 suspension has 35 splines + flat & groove. The non-F41 has 25 splines + flat & groove. Obviously that would require a different rag joint. I have never seen this before. Worse, I can't find my original '83 box, to see which type that is. When I read about upgrading to the F41 boxes, no one mentions a different spline count. What gives with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor