I Guess If You Just Want To Throw $$ At It...

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Interestingly, when I used to sell crap on ebay, I would at least try and get an idea of what similar stuff actually SOLD for to get an idea of the market demand conditions when determining an asking price. I do understand the idea about supply and demand. When parts are scarce, prices naturally go up. But some are a bit over the top, in my opinion. I really love it when they can't even tell you what it fits.

Maybe it's like I was saying before. The further away you get from the times where G-bodies filled the junkyards and people's driveways, the more people want to restore them now vs. modifying them or driving the wheels off them. Obviously not all, but that's how these things tend to go. Ripping apart a 69 442 and modding to what you want it to be was no big deal in the old days. I know. I did it. Need a part? Go to a junkyard or scavange that POS someone had sitting in their field doing nothing. Nowadays, you see people trying to scour NOS parts for their 69's to restore them to their former glory. At least they have assembly manuals to go by. It could be simply that people don't want to lose that piece of history before it's gone forever.

Can't count how many times someone just parked their A/G-body GP, Monte SS, 442 or H/O in the barn or next to the barn and let it just rot because it needed a new radiator or the computer codes flashed and it didn't run right. Rather than spend a few bucks to fix it, they just stashed it in the back 40. Seen it a million times. Has anyone NOT seen a rusty/crusty G-body doing that? Then someone gets the idea it's worth millions, drags it out of the dirt and then puts a for sale ad on craigslist for stupid money because they saw a pristine survivor go for thousands at the TV car auctions.

Seems like nowadays, inflation is taking a bite out of everything. Or are people just a bunch of knuckleheads?

A few examples of how to overpay, IMO, if you pay these asking prices for G-body parts...

Center fill rad overflow tank. It comes on some cars, but isn't correct for others with the rear cap. But it's only 175.00. You can get them all day long from other places as low as $40 or so. Doesn't even come with a hose. WTF. At least they'll ship it for free. 🙂 I want to say these were around 12 bucks when I used to go by the dealership and get them. With a hose.

Console. A paltry 1600. Can it come with any worse condition parts? It appears to me either someone left the box outside for several years, or in a wet basement. Too much damage to be worth that for me. WTF about that lid? Insulting is that you have to go pick it up. Fugg that.

Same seller has vinyl roof trim set for 1200. Why? Many people rip that crap off and throw it away. I'd never put a vinyl roof back on a car once it's gone. Can't see anyone buying that. I could be wrong.

That reminds me of this listed as used & NOS for a measly $1250 but you have to go to Indiana to pick it up.
or this, also used/NOS, from the same seller for $1300
Not even GM boxes for them. Guessing the cost includes their rent for the space they have been & will be taking up.

This is just as assinine as the people who put more than 100k to a million dollars into a vintage ride..... i can even phathom that.

Who uses Ebay anymore anyway? It's mostly China brand garbage, never what you actually want.

It's gotten better than it was. For a while it was pure China knockoff crap. Looked like a NYC street sale. I buy stuff on eBay if it's OEM or I recognize the seller. There are still certain things I wouldn't buy regardless. Spark plugs is one. Too many fakes or really good copies out there.

I scarfed up R46SX's (p/n 5613881) for the 84/85 and FL3LS6's (p/n 5614000) for the 87 from ebay by the truckloads several years ago when people were ditching the green ring/green writing OG plugs for whatever reason. I bought 10 SX plugs, or so I thought, for $15 buy it now with free shipping. He sent 10 boxes of 8!! The R46SZ (p/n 5613882) was the GM replacement for the SX to reduce the gap. I may have some of those, not sure as they're not in my inventory sheet, but why?

Not that I'd set the SX's at .080 or whatever, it's just that having the right plug when you need it you just can't go wrong. I remember only spending around 3-6 bucks each box or something. I wouldn't pass up a deal, but I didn't need to spend a fortune on them either. Which I didn't. Now I think sets are going for around 15-20 bucks each.

I have a lifetime's worth. I started giving sets away for Christmas presents to a few close friends with cars who needed them. I just checked my inventory and now I'm down to 18 full sets of R46SX's and 13 full sets of FL3LS6's. 😵

• Wow
Reactions: Rktpwrd
Oooh! Another gem, and they're taking 25 bucks off!!!....fits G-body diesel and B body export with JE1 (european brake system). It doesn't fit 442 like mentioned. Liar. That would be p/n 25509419 instead of 18. I don't know the difference but for the p/n to be different, there's a reason.

Brake combination valve. Only $475 plus shipping and tax. To be fair, some of the aftermarket chinesium combo valves are junk. Not sure who makes good ones anymore.

Who uses Ebay anymore anyway? It's mostly China brand garbage, never what you actually want.

I sure hope my drop spindles work... I bought those on the evilBay.

I can see die hard 70's car purists going for that and paying through the roof for it... thats a nice piece.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor