i hate my 94 blazer transmission slipping anyone ever done one

Status
Not open for further replies.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
so instead of rebuilding my sbc 350 thats was in my regal i decided to buy a 94 chevy blazer . i live in mn so i figured i would rebuild the motor over the winter and buy something i could drive in the winter . so i bought this truck it got shitty mpg when i got so i had a full tune up done ran perfect after words i got like 20mpg. :D then the fuel pump starts acting up so i buy a new one . my buddy comes over drops the tank removes the pump . the pump itself was still good it was the wiring in the assembly but the retard i bought from had replaced the original with a generic chinese pos and when switching he pinched one of the fuel line bolts and stripped the other one plus it was rusted and none of my freinds could get it out we even soaked the line in wd40 for like 14 hours nothing so i go to the dealership and by a 3 foot prebent half metal half rubber line for 180 dollars. :shock: after i get that in everything is running perfect for about a week then my transmission goes out it slipped out of od and never went back and now it slips and is trash . sorry for the story but my question is has anyone ever replaced a transmission in one of these i have been told you have to take the transmission and engine out at once because the engine is to close to the fire wall is there any truth in this my buddy is dropping off a haynes manual for me tomorrow . this thing has been nothing but trouble

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
From what I hear, those things are ugly to work on-especially the 4.3/4x4 models. You didn't specify what drivetrain it has, and that would be helpful to anyone offering advice on your problem.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
If you have lots of time and space, you can probably figure it out, but it will likely drive you to one of the following: Tears, Divorce, Insanity, or a Homicidal rampage where you go after GM engineers with a AK-47 or a machete....

Seriously, I remember watching an episode of Shadetree Mechanic on TNN ( now Spike) where they had to work on one and they said it is the worst vehicle to work on in terms of space and time.

illregal82

Master Mechanic
Jul 4, 2006
MINNEAPOLIS
i just picked up my buddies haynes manual . i am going to pay my buddy to put my transmission in and after its fixed i am selling that pos . i might wait till first snowfall and try and get the most for it soon as snow hits around here prices on 4x4s goes up

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
i had the same blazer 94 4x4 4.3 vortec i hated it best mpg i got was 9 but i got a lead foot.yes space is tight under the hood but no worse then a v8 s10 or blazer.the 4.3 is a v8 with 2 cylinders cut off. if you do keep it change the ac over to 143a.what color is yours

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
9mph?? theres something wrong. i have a 92 4 wheel drive that has a 8/9" drop, performance chip, flowmaster exhaust, intake and some other bolt ons, i get almost 300 to a tank and i have a lead foot BAD in this truck, its hard not to give her hell when you have that kind of power, lol. as far as how hard the transmission is to pull, i am not sure if you have to pull the motor but if you did it should not be too hard, most EFI motors have plug and play type of connectors, in other words its a cake walk to pull your harness and reatach everything. unbolting, like you said, 350 minus 2 cylinders. should not be hard if you have the tools and experiance of pulling motors. good luck, you can do it!

edian

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 18, 2007
well it has the same bolt pattern as a small-block chevy. i imagine it's eaither got a 4l60 or a late 700r4 in it. any pickup transmission will bolt it, of course driveline's might not fit, but if you get the same transmission(700r4 or a 4l60) out of anything 4wd it will fit and work just fine. i know a couple of people with turbo350 behind their 4.3, but there older, and i dont know how your computer would repond to that.

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
youdon't need to take out the motor, changing the transmission isa bad job on every model but not that worst on a Blazer. is it the first gear the problem...

ryanwitski

Master Mechanic
Nov 5, 2006
OH
wow if you messed up a 700R4 then something is really not right! They are pretty strong. I have one with 114,000 in my camaro and it started to slip then i got it flushed and it fixed the problem, it is starting to do it again but i think it's because the 91 runs hotter than the old engines thus the transmission fluid gets hotter. just like the guys on trucks (spike tv) i would get a transmission cooler for it, it will save it for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor