I have a 80 cutlass with a chevy 350, need advice on mods!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

armystr0ng

n00b
Dec 18, 2010
Im 21 and in the army about to go to iraq and i wanna fix up my car. i have a oldsmobile cutlass that i bought from a wheeler and dealer that got it from an old man with the v6 in it. i bought it for 1400 because the body was in fair condision little rust nothing i couldnt sand off and leather seats and interior were in ment condition. eccept steering wheel colume. the $1400 also got me a chevrolet 350 from a camaro he had and turbo 350 transmission. I bought flowtech headers and sold the hooker headers that was on there because it wouldnt clear the engine bay in the cutlass. It came with stock (OEM) heads i think because they say OEM on them. It had an edelbrock prof. manifold on it and a quadro jet carb, for gas because it was a dayly driver for a bit . He also said it has a ( RV cam ) idk it has alot of torque starting and will white smoke the sh*t out the tires then it bogs down then goes fast in high speeds. i dont have a speedometer but my wife was going 90 and i pass her up like shes standing still, its a fast car! i dont really know much about it other than that. while ive had it i cleaned it up and put accel hei distributor msd cap and rotor high pro ign coil and a msd street proformer multi spark box. also msd 10mm wires and always use mobile one b&m transmission fluid and i tried accel plugs but switched to ac delco. and have a 4 inch breather with a red top opt. bat.

but what i wanna know is without changing the heads and machine work what cam can i put in there, voodoo?
i want possi trac what model can i get one from with a good gear ratio for everyday driver stock.
do you hafe to change the pistons if you change the lifters and springs.
how do i get more compression without machine work.
should i stick with quadro jet?

please give me ur input how do i get more torque and horse power with the set up i have now. these pics are before i put the accel dist msd wires and msd ign modual on it i also changed the valve covers and got a bad *ss fan for it.
Code:

Attachments

• ggggggggggg.jpg
    ggggggggggg.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 594
  • hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    hhhhhhhhhhhh.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 615

pappa_wolf

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2010
Re: I have a 80 cutlass with a chevy 350, need advice on mod

I would fix the speedo, fast.
keep the Q-jet, it`s great for daily driving, and performance

why fix the speedo, "sorry officer, I have no idear how fast I was going. But since it took you so lang to catch up, it must have been fast!"

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010

armystr0ng said:
Im 21 and in the army about to go to iraq and i wanna fix up my car. i have a oldsmobile cutlass that i bought from a wheeler and dealer that got it from an old man with the v6 in it. i bought it for 1400 because the body was in fair condision little rust nothing i couldnt sand off and leather seats and interior were in ment condition. eccept steering wheel colume. the $1400 also got me a chevrolet 350 from a camaro he had and turbo 350 transmission. I bought flowtech headers and sold the hooker headers that was on there because it wouldnt clear the engine bay in the cutlass. It came with stock (OEM) heads i think because they say OEM on them. It had an edelbrock prof. manifold on it and a quadro jet carb, for gas because it was a dayly driver for a bit . He also said it has a ( RV cam ) idk it has alot of torque starting and will white smoke the sh*t out the tires then it bogs down then goes fast in high speeds. i dont have a speedometer but my wife was going 90 and i pass her up like shes standing still, its a fast car! i dont really know much about it other than that. while ive had it i cleaned it up and put accel hei distributor msd cap and rotor high pro ign coil and a msd street proformer multi spark box. also msd 10mm wires and always use mobile one b&m transmission fluid and i tried accel plugs but switched to ac delco. and have a 4 inch breather with a red top opt. bat.

but what i wanna know is without changing the heads and machine work what cam can i put in there, voodoo?
i want possi trac what model can i get one from with a good gear ratio for everyday driver stock.
do you hafe to change the pistons if you change the lifters and springs.
how do i get more compression without machine work.
should i stick with quadro jet?

please give me ur input how do i get more torque and horse power with the set up i have now. these pics are before i put the accel dist msd wires and msd ign modual on it i also changed the valve covers and got a bad *ss fan for it.
Code:
good luck in iraq bro. i just started my army career to. got to go back to 68w training after exodus.
well looks like u got a good little setup. cant really do to much as far as power gains without changing heads or bottom end. u cant raise compression either. thats based on comb chamber and pistons. but u can get a good cam contact voodoo and see if they got a cam for ur setup, make sure u get some matching lifters and springs, a good mani, play with timing a bit. i personally like holleys but ive seen some powerful street cars make decent power on qjets. a shift kit would help. and a posi will do u good. not sure on what diffs will swap right in but im sure some of the others could steer u in the right direction.

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct

You said it smokes the tire(s) and then bogs down a bit then takes off, well it was a 6cyl. car it prolly got like 2.41 or 2.56 gears. I'm not telling you what to do but the rear end, I think is where you should start, cause it sounds like the car runs real good. So a suggestion would be (assume its a 3 speed) limited slip and gears, I run an auburn L.S. and richmond 3.73 in both elky and monte (1 th350 , 1 2004r) when i blow up the rears the street car will get 3.42 with O.D. and the race car get 4.10's lol so if you want to feel like the engine woke up put a little gear to it I wouldnt go to high but everybody's diff. 3.23 -3.73 where i would suggest... good luck P.S. I like the paint sharp lookin car 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor