i know i ask alot of questions!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatso86

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2011
to build a bad *ss street machine would you get a 455ci olds motor and built it or would it be easier to get more hp and toqure out of a 454ci chevy motor...

dr78442

G-Body Guru
Mar 15, 2010
massapequa park NY
Just my 2 cents. In my 1978 Olds cutlass I currently have a BBC ramjet 502. This truely a great engine. But I got the itch for Olds engine . I am building a 455 for my Olds. The engine is in the machine shop and I hope to have the engine in the car by the fall. I have had both Chevy and Olds . The real answer is it is your car do what you like to do . Good luck :D

gk666

Master Mechanic
Oct 11, 2010
i hate to show my /sadface but the chevy 454 is a much better engine but the 455 has a lot more badass factor so you have the weigh the two options on prefference... awesome or badass

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
I would write down everything, and I do mean everything, that you want to do to the engine, from oil pan to the carb, including exhaust system. Then, price out the parts for both "brands", and compare. Also, if you go with the 454, make sure that you have the crank "zero balanced", then you can use any balancer and flywheel set-up. My bet would be on the BBC coming out less expensive, and with more torque and horsepower. Also, ck out the Summitt and Jegs catalogs, they sell complete engines, short blocks, or any combination you want. But, I've never seen an Olds engine advertised, although they might sell them. Usually you see Chevy, Mopar, and Ford. I know some guys want to keep an Olds in an Olds, but it's a personal preference thing. Just my nickles worth. ................mickey-d :lol:

Chris Van

G-Body Guru
Nov 8, 2009
Middle Ga.
Definately more "bang for the buck" with the Chevy engine. But, like others have said.... It's all in what you want to do with your car. Because the 455 Olds engine does have a certain badass factor that the chevy doesn't. I've had all of the above but the big block was sold, the 455 went in an A body Olds and the small block back in the G body. Because if you think a small block chevy in a G body is gay, try putting one in a 72 Cutlass 442 and see what kind of looks you get....LOL
And NO, I didn't do that either....LOL

By the way Mickey-D... That 41 Willys is one badass ride. That and a 55 Chevy make the baddest looking rides out there IMO of course.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
mickey-d said:
Also, if you go with the 454, make sure that you have the crank "zero balanced", then you can use any balancer and flywheel set-up.................mickey-d :lol:

awesome suggestion and not often considered but it makes life so much easier setting up the driveline

mickey-d

Greasemonkey
Feb 10, 2010
Kissimmee, Florida
Tuggy24g said:
One thing I would say is if you got an olds why not put an olds in.

Brad, I would say the money factor of an engine build would be the biggest factor, But then again, I'm a Chevy engine guy.
....................mickey-d :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor