I need a new Intake Manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoungGun001

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2009
FLORIDA
For all those who know what Im doing to my ride, bare with me while I put out all my specs for those who dont know.

I have an '86 Cutlass Supreme Brougham
Chevy 350 4 bolt main (to be dropped)
Holley 650 4bl Carburetor
Holley 14x4 Air Cleaner
700r4 Transmission
High Volume Fuel Pump
In line fuel filter
Large canister fuel filter

Anyway.........
Ive been working thru the motor, engine bay, exhaust etc. (I'm so A.D.D.) and have now come across some sealing issues with my intake manifold. Why? I have the wrong one!!!
Sooo......
Where could I find a 4bl carbureted intake manifold for my Chevy 350? On this motor the 4 center bolts for intake manifold drop straight in and rest of the bolts go in at an angle. Any suggestions?

Cutty_002.jpg

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH
Welcome to the world of the swirl port head. These heads were used on 88-95 trucks and some other stuff with TBI. Here's one that should work for you, look on summit for others if you want a different brand.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-2 ... mage=large

And another thought I had when i was building a motor for a friend with these heads was to just grind on the manifold a bit to get the correct angle. I would do it on my own stuff but it would be up to you on yours.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I have a brand new edelbrock for sale in my store $150 plus shipping. Part number 2104. Its goes for 177.95 on summit

YoungGun001

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2009
FLORIDA
You know, I thought about grinding the manifold to make it fit but I wasnt sure about it. Is that something that people normally do? Because I have been told not to do it, just get a new intake manifold. But this is coming from only one "know it all" perspective. Anyone else have an opinion?

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
As one ADD sufferer to another, I say grind the manifold and be done with it. Yes, perfection is a wonderful thing, but so is $150. It may not look good, but it will do the job and let you save the cash for something else-like heads that don't suck. Those are easily the worst heads GM ever put on a small block Chevy due to their port design, so I would not waste any money on a new manifold just to use them.

As for ADD cars, mine is probably far worse. I tore it apart in fits of ADD years ago (back to a bare shell) and am now having to fix what I never should have messed with. However, that's good for the ADD as when I get tired of one project, there are still 1,214,843 others to play with... :lol:

Where could I find a 4bl carbureted intake manifold for my Chevy 350? On this motor the 4 center bolts for intake manifold drop straight in and rest of the bolts go in at an angle.

Isn't this common to all Vortec heads?

3rdgentug

Apprentice
Aug 8, 2009
xitabl442 said:
Where could I find a 4bl carbureted intake manifold for my Chevy 350? On this motor the 4 center bolts for intake manifold drop straight in and rest of the bolts go in at an angle.

Isn't this common to all Vortec heads?

no vortecs are different
i think it was mentioned already gm started doing it in the late 80's

and yes tbi heads are the absolute worst heads ever put on a vehical.

a couple years ago when i upgraded my tpi heads to some edelbrock performer rpms i gave my tpi heads to my brother so he could swap out his swirlport tbi heads.
the 1st time he drove it afterwards his exact words were
" theres the power this thing should of had back in 93!"

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Vortec heads have ALL of their bolts dropping straight down. The "Swirl Port" turds have a slightly different angle only on the center two bolts on each side. The switch was made around 1985 or 86, and Vortecs came out around 1996 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor