I need a pick me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
Well. I really started doing some digging on my 87 Monte SS project car today. Some bubbles and pits I noticed around the inner wheel tubs and inside the trunk got me poking around. Needless to say I uncovered an absolute horror of rust on my car. Pulled the back seat out and its pretty bad. Inner wheel tubs are gone. Under the back seat is about non existent. The trunk is pretty bad. Left rear frame rail is pretty toast behind the wheel towards the bumper and some in front of the wheel. I really did not see much of this when I looked at the car. Someone has done some work before that covered up a good amount. Ive pretty much made up my mind that the car is not worth fixing. It would be a bit different had I not found the frame issues. All in all, its not gonna happen. So im pretty bummed. So I need a pick me up. I know im not the only one whose run into this before. Next time I REALLY need to look better.

findinglemo

Master Mechanic
Jun 12, 2011
Owasso, Oklahoma
Bummer! Hope you find something a little more solid next time...Don't throw the towel in...you've seen what can happen, now don't make the same mistake second time around....Remember the fun is in the hunt! :D

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Sorry to hear that. You might consider a donor car from the west coast. We don't salt the roads here so rust is rarely an issue. They're still pretty cheap and plentiful here so it might be worth shipping a rust free shell and swapping all the SS stuff onto it. Might even be worth shipping a complete driver.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/ptd/3107652036.html
http://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/3158546125.html
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3154374785.html
http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/3055140754.html

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
Wouldn't be too bad of a job to fix the frame. I've had to rePlace mine.

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Yeah, unfortunately, unless you're going to do all the work yourself, serious rust repair can get expensive. IMO it's not worth it unless you have an emotional attachment to the car, or it's a high-dollar collectible. There's a frame for sale around here for not too much, but again, it doesn't sound like it would be worth it to you. You'd probably be better off finding a less rusty example and sinking your money into that. On the upside, I think the amount you'd spend to repair your car would be well within the realm of what you'd pay for a rust-free car, you might even get lucky and find a bargain. Good luck!

stubnosebrock

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 5, 2012
Binghamton, NY
I agree. It just isnt worth it to me for a car that isnt "rare". I just bought the car so there's no real attachment for me. Live and learn. What really sucks is the engine is at my builders place almost done. Guess when I find something else it will be ready and waiting.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
I have been there and done that more than one time.I have been taken on rust and body damage.I talked myself into these cars because i was thinking with my heart not my brain. One positive you can take from this is you should have lots of good parts to use in your next build and what you don't use you can sell. Good luck in your future builds

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
If you are not into the original stock numbers matching build, you could find a mint body and frame and make a clone.There are a few killer custom ss builds

Evan11

Royal Smart Person
Apr 17, 2009
Southern Indiana
I hear u since you're not attached and ya just got it. Ive had my cutlass for years and it was my 1st car, so of course I fixed it , it was still very nice other than the frame! It only cost me $30 for rust free rear frame rails,$15 for some metal to box it, my time, a week of cutting and Welding, a few cuts and burns, and a couple cans of undercoating. Lol. Around here, you can find mint gbodys with bad rear frame rails for cheap because noonewants to mess with em..ive seen em so bad that the rear bumper was falling and only held up with the fiberglass bumper cover...good luck on your find, hope u find a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor