I need help identifying a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xminnis

Apprentice
May 19, 2008
Kansas City, Missouri
When i cut the wheel all the way to the right and go in reverse i hear a popping noise it only pops once or twice. I cant tell if it is coming from underneath or over by the front left wheel but it is coming from one or both of those spots. It doesnt do it when i turn the wheel to the left and go in reverse and it doesnt do it anytime that i am moving forward. So only when i have the wheel turned to the right and go in reverse.

What could this be?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
since it only does it in a turn to one side i'd suspect suspension.
first thing i'd do is jack up and support the front end so that both wheels are off the ground. then shake down the front end. you especially want to put a pipe under the tire and lever upwards to check the balljoints. you may need to get a good pry-bar and see if there's any play in the control arms--front and back.

Lawfree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 7, 2008
It sounds like the same thing that is happening to my 80' Cutlass. Have not noticed if it's reverse or fwd. but it's a definite loud "pop' in the FRT. left. Sounds almost like the spring is binding up. I plan and rebuilding the FRT. suspension soon so if I figure anything out, I'll be sure to post it here.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
my Monte use to do the same thing. Did some front suspension rebuilding (tie rods, ball joints ect.) and it went away. I'd say definatly check out the front suspension. If it ain't there maybe a u joint or bushing somewhere? :? Good luck

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Check your control arm bushings...uppers especially...
My wagon does the same thing, and the upper bushings are GONE! I can't believe I drive that thing 100 miles a day.
The '81 Monte I used to have did it as well, same problem.
Next thing I would check would be lower ball joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor