EGR delete Need Help !!

Sinsics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2023
Can I delete egr vaulve if I have rochester quadrojet with original emmisions?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
You can. Just be aware that EGR dilutes the air/fuel mixture. That allows more timing. Without the EGR you will probably experience detonation. What year and engine? CCC engines cannot be adjusted for timing. Non-CCC can. You would likely be better off just fixing the EGR.

Reactions: 4 users

Sinsics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2023
You can. Just be aware that EGR dilutes the air/fuel mixture. That allows more timing. Without the EGR you will probably experience detonation. What year and engine? CCC engines cannot be adjusted for timing. Non-CCC can. You would likely be better off just fixing the EGR.
It's a 1984 pontiac grand prix

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
So it has CCC. You are probably better off just fixing it. The CCC relies on everything working in concert. You could disable it, but only if you were converting it all to pre-CCC specification. What was the issue anyway?

Sinsics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2023
So it has CCC. You are probably better off just fixing it. The CCC relies on everything working in concert. You could disable it, but only if you were converting it all to pre-CCC specification. What was the issue anyway?
Nothing really wrong I just want to delete the most I can without it really affecting much but I guess I I did want to delete charcoal canister and egr I'd have to get an aftermarket carburator with I am just not anytime soon

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
If it ain't broke- don't fix it. Don't be like the Post Office. If it ain't broke- they'll fix it until it is. Every single part has a purpose and a reason for being there. Once you start removing things, the problems appear in their place. Do a search on here. Loads of threads where- 'I deleted [fill in the blank] and now it runs like crap. HELP!'

Reactions: 2 users

Sinsics

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 9, 2023
If it ain't broke- don't fix it. Don't be like the Post Office. If it ain't broke- they'll fix it until it is. Every single part has a purpose and a reason for being there. Once you start removing things, the problems appear in their place. Do a search on here. Loads of threads where- 'I deleted [fill in the blank] and now it runs like crap. HELP!'
Yeah I just wanna go for a minimal engine bay look and I'm basically there looks alot cleaner now but still couldn't hurt to ask thanks for the help though

Reactions: 1 user

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Two things to try as just as a test. The caveat is removing or disabling an emission device can get you in trouble. Will they really come after an individual car owner? Probably not, but you never know.

Take kitchen foil, roll up in little 1/2 inch diameter balls and stuff in the EGR's manifold outlet hole. You will need 3 to 4 of those stuffed down the hole. Now, replace the EGR. To remove the foil balls, use the long pick with the 45 or 90 degree tip.

Next, pull the vacuum line going to the EGR and stick a 3/16 threaded set screw in the vacuum line and put it back on the EGR. To reset, just replace that section of vacuum line.

You have effectively blocked the inlet to the EGR and blocked the vacuum signal. From there drive it for a while and see if drivability improves. As long as the detonation (knock) sensor is working CCC should adjust timing to reduce this.

Just remember this is only for test, to temporarily rule out any issues with EGR operation. If you happen to forget and leave it as changed the CCC will still keep the car running closed loop, intake fuel charge will be better and you might experience more power per RPM range. So you might want to remember to re-hook everything as OEM, otherwise the engine could be more powerful and responsive.

Last edited:

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away

The EGR also reduces throttling losses.

L05edSS

Greasemonkey
Nov 29, 2022
Can I delete egr vaulve if I have rochester quadrojet with original emmisions?
i'll say this when had my engine swapped had planned on keeping the ecm, ccc and all that mess i even bought a egr compliant cheap alum intake that came with block off plate. when called to check in 1 day they decided they were deleting it all and only reason i was hesitant was over the TC lockup that they didnt think of. no wont impact tc lockup but my point is if gonna do it go all the way which i did and maybe get high flow cats otherwise keep as is.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor