EGR delete Need Help !!

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
As others have stated you're not really gaining anything by deleting it. And it could potentially create other problems in the long run. I get wanting to clean up the clutter under the hood and I've done it more times than I can count. And while the egr can be deleted without to much of an issue I would not even think of removing the evap canister. Deleting that nets you zero gain and actually hurts you in the long run by just dumping all the gasoline and crankcase fumes into the atmosphere rather than storing them to be burned in the engine. Do as you will but just remember the bubba's that mindlessly delete stuff cause "they know better than the oe engineers " are the same people who give hot rodders a bad name and put us all on the govt. radar.

Reactions: 4 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
As others have stated you're not really gaining anything by deleting it. And it could potentially create other problems in the long run. I get wanting to clean up the clutter under the hood and I've done it more times than I can count. And while the egr can be deleted without to much of an issue I would not even think of removing the evap canister. Deleting that nets you zero gain and actually hurts you in the long run by just dumping all the gasoline and crankcase fumes into the atmosphere rather than storing them to be burned in the engine. Do as you will but just remember the bubba's that mindlessly delete stuff cause "they know better than the oe engineers " are the same people who give hot rodders a bad name and put us all on the govt. radar.

The EVAP system is also a closed venting system that keeps moisture which gorms gunk out of your fuel system. Moreover, removing the EGR valve can trip the SES light unless you get a 87 or 88 ECM and a ZZ4 PROM chip that electronically deletes EGR.

Reactions: 2 users

spongbob

Greasemonkey
Oct 1, 2022
Can I delete egr vaulve if I have rochester quadrojet with original emmisions?
Aside from the mentioned technical phobias mentioned here the question was how can I block the egr valve.I will mention 2 ways I have satisfied this insatiable desire " lol ok... get a thin piece of 18 gage galvanized sheetmetal. Very level not bent up lay it aside and remove the egr if it's one of the canister type you will see a gasket with 2 holes( minus bolt holes) the thing is to make a template like the gasket out of paper or the actual gasket minus one ( without one of the hot air holes) heat hole,(disregarding bolt holes) therr by effectively to seal off one ( or both)of the holes... there are other ways not so good for cold climates .And if you have a fresh intake manifold gasket? you can lose the intake manifold and place cut and trimed pieces of the said sheetmetal .018 thickness over the heat riser passages in the in the heads .there are 2 passages in the heads on on each side it might pay to keep the size of the sheetmetal to about 3/16" bigger a ll the way around the hole size and be certain they don't dislocated from being centered when you replace the manifold .You will likely not have a pressure lose of significant effect" to use the tin and not to worry about revealing with rtv or gasket paper just your going to need new intake gaskets and it's like changing manifolds ...,unless...you happened to have changed your manifold gaskets yesterday and they break clean when the manifold is pryed up,( no gasket sealer) .( losened).. I have managed this last scenario at least twice in 50 years .In that case it's possible to just loosen all manifold bolts enough to slide a thin peice of tin into the space created when it is payed upward say 1/16" then retirement said manifold while maintaining position of 2 peices of steel over the head heat passages. This last scenario is how you can also fix and oldsmobile manifold with cracks into the heat crossover fron the gas plenum side yes they do crack have fixed several of course you are going to run colder in the winter but as u recall wasn't too bad functionally with my situation so Worth a penny for thought..

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
the computer doe;s not need feedback from the egr so yes you can delete it you nox emissions will go up the egr pumps exhaust in the cylinders while cruising when power is not needed saving gas and lowering combustion temps.. high combustion temps produce more nox emissions i would keep it.. on my car i got rid of the air pump system cleaned up the engine bay alot

Reactions: 1 users

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
Can I delete egr vaulve if I have rochester quadrojet with original emmisions?
The exhaust gas recirculation cools the combustion temperature and helps to prevent spark knock. You would probably have problems with spark knock unless your ignition timing advance curve was changed.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor