I recommend an engine kill switch so this doesn't happen

84 W40

G-Body Guru
Dec 9, 2009
Seen this on the news the other day and brought back memory's how easy a gbody can get stolen with just a screwdriver. This happened a lot back in the 80s into the 90s, he will never get his money back what he put into it. They didn't say how it get stolen at first but later on in the day the joy rider used a screw driver. Sounds like the owner of the car didn't have a security device or didn't turn it on, he did have a tracking device.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Paranoia will destroy you, or save your car.

Installing something stupid to keep the car from running would’ve saved this guy.

I have an Air Tag, and a relay that is activated by the cruise switch to get it to start. Do something to keep your G’s safe - our society sucks.

This is extremely disappointing.

Reactions: 10 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
I have a kill switch in my truck. Basically it's because they get stolen alot. I know how they steal them and it's better than average condition so I'd lose on insurance.

The G body will get a kill switch. Thanks for opening my eyes.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
+100 on that. Not an item that I had given any attention to at this point for the Monte. My van has a master shut off switch wired into its guts so that looks like it ought to happen for my 85 as well. Stick it in the trunk or somewhere obscure and quiet where it won't be noticed.

Nick

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Put the kill switch:

1. in the LS1 ECU power wire?
2. fuel pump wire power wire?
3. add relay to starting circuit?

I do have an air-tag in the car, usually double park it at home, and put steering wheel lock.

Reactions: 1 user

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I have two of these Bluetooth distributors, one in the silver car and one in the black car. https://progressionignition.com/
They have a theft prevention mode that requires you to connect your handheld device and lock (disable) for when you want it protected. When you get back in the car, turn the ignition on, connect and enable the distributor. If you've never connected your device to that particular distributor, you have to enter the PIN code to access it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Put the kill switch:

1. in the LS1 ECU power wire?
2. fuel pump wire power wire?
3. add relay to starting circuit?

I do have an air-tag in the car, usually double park it at home, and put steering wheel lock.
The aftermarket ECU’s I mess with require a 12v wire that is hot in crank and run. It carries virtually no load, but is needed for the ECU to ‘stay awake’. It’s very easy to put a generic switch in that circuit. You just need to keep the switch out of sight. It’s the reason I use the cruise on/off switch - who would think that switch needs to be on for the car to start. Of course someone could try it, but I don’t think a thief that’s in a hurry would think to turn in the cruise to get the car started. At least that’s what I’m hoping lol.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
I have two of these distributors, one in the silver car and one in the black car. https://progressionignition.com/
They have a theft prevention mode that requires you to connect and lock (disable) for when you want it protected. When you get back in the car, turn the ignition on, connect and enable the distributor. If you've never connected your device to that particular distributor, you have to enter the PIN code to access it.
that is pretty amazing that distributors have a real timing map in them now like an ECU.

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
The aftermarket ECU’s I mess with require a 12v wire that is hot in crank and run. It carries virtually no load, but is needed for the ECU to ‘stay awake’. It’s very easy to put a generic switch in that circuit. You just need to keep the switch out of sight. It’s the reason I use the cruise on/off switch - who would think that switch needs to be on for the car to start. Of course someone could try it, but I don’t think a thief that’s in a hurry would think to turn in the cruise to get the car started. At least that’s what I’m hoping lol.
Clever guy!!! I'm posting that on the thief forum (kidding).

• Clever
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor