I was gifted a Pro-Street '27 Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.

RegalRegal

Greasemonkey
Nov 30, 2020
St. Paul, Mn
Sorry to hear about your BIL. Wow! what a gift. It looks like it's in good hands, And yes maybe it will help with reconnecting.

Reactions: 1 user

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Nice rod to add to your collection..... same driveline(ZZ4/700R4) thats in my malibu, what carburator is that, looks like a holley street avenger carb, just like mine, but its a 770cfm unit, have you had a chance to drive it yet, if so, did you experience any pinging mid throttle like mine?(psst, its the carb, its a non performance street unit made to run stupid lean, the street avenger name was and still is a marketing ploy by holley)

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
Nice rod to add to your collection..... same driveline(ZZ4/700R4) thats in my malibu, what carburator is that, looks like a holley street avenger carb, just like mine, but its a 770cfm unit, have you had a chance to drive it yet, if so, did you experience any pinging mid throttle like mine?(psst, its the carb, its a non performance street unit made to run stupid lean, the street avenger name was and still is a marketing ploy by holley)
It has a 80670 (670 cfm) Holley Street Avenger. I have only driven it about 1/2 mile because the rear axle felt unsecure. Is the ZZ4 factory intake more like a Performer than a Performer RPM? If it has issues I have a Holley 76750BK (750 double pump) on the '56. I could try it.
20210905_105227.jpg

I don't think the 700r4 is connected to the carb correctly. It should have a https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-20-121 bracket shouldn't it? I parted '86 Caprice 305/700r4 years ago. It had a QJ and the trans worked fine in another car connected to a QJ. I also moved over the convertor unlocking brake switch and carb vacuum switch. So the plan for the T is to add a brake switch and later a vacuum switch. Does that sound appropriate?
A couple of years ago I scored a low mileage 700r4 from a '91 Caprice. I put it in the '56. I worked fine driving round the yard. When I took it out on the road it shifted into 2nd and coasted to a stop. It wouldn't go forward or backward. I towed it home. I'm thinking maybe the TV cable disconnected in the trans. I have too many unfinished projects and didn't want to get into it before the Malibu ran. Now it's priority is after the T and Malibu. I'm going to drop the pan on the T's 700r4 and make sure it isn't full of clutch debris. I think the car might have 1-2K miles on it. Just a bit of dirt on the driveline. Brake rotors a bit scored. Also the Hall effects speedo drive is leaking ATF and my attempts to stop the leak have failed.

Reactions: 1 users

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
From what i've found out, the Holley Street Avenger carbs, as the name applies, is just that... for the street, they run lean via the metering blocks and suffers from an off idle stumble, so they are not really considered a performance unit, marketing ploy by holley it seems, "street avenger" sounds catchy, doesnt it, theres also a 570, 670 and 870, but my 770 came with the ZZ4 engine in my malibu, so im working with what i've got atm.

I just rebuilt my 770 entirely this past weekend, and after doing hours of research online on how to tune the 770 carb for the ZZ4, it was suggested putting the 75jets from the rear to the front and run 83jets in the rear, the cure was great for many, but no mention on the power valve used, so in went the standard 6.5hg. Stock jets are 72/front and 75/rear, even though the plugs went from lean looking to having a good tannish color, which is a step in the right direction, the engine still pings mid throttle, allbeit not as pronounced now, and thats with the curved(22*) distributor all in @ 3200rpm and the vacuum advance can(10*) connected to ported on the carb, then tried full manifold vacuum(20* total at idle), and then totally disconnected from any vacuum source. There is an aftermarket front billet metering block(adjustable) by QFT that could possibly solve my running lean issue and off idle stumble, but i'll need one for the rear as well, and im not sure i want to blow that kinda dough on bandaides IMO, i've got the engine timing and carb tuned spot on, but this pinging still persists, im so ready to yank this engine out and take it apart,but thats a last resort.

As for your 700r4 dilema, if the TV cable was connected, chances are it was NOT adjusted correctly, so you pretty much fried all the clutches in the trans if you lost your forward gears and reverse. My malibu was already set up correctly for the 700r4 thats in it, it has the brake switch and the vacuum switch for the TCC lockup/unlock function, so that its more appropriate.

700r4 Painless kit and schematic explaination - https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/60109.pdf

rwd_pete

Greasemonkey
Oct 3, 2006
Niagara Falls
From what i've found out, the Holley Street Avenger carbs, as the name applies, is just that... for the street, they run lean via the metering blocks and suffers from an off idle stumble, so they are not really considered a performance unit, marketing ploy by holley it seems, "street avenger" sounds catchy, doesnt it, theres also a 570, 670 and 870, but my 770 came with the ZZ4 engine in my malibu, so im working with what i've got atm.

I just rebuilt my 770 entirely this past weekend, and after doing hours of research online on how to tune the 770 carb for the ZZ4, it was suggested putting the 75jets from the rear to the front and run 83jets in the rear, the cure was great for many, but no mention on the power valve used, so in went the standard 6.5hg. Stock jets are 72/front and 75/rear, even though the plugs went from lean looking to having a good tannish color, which is a step in the right direction, the engine still pings mid throttle, allbeit not as pronounced now, and thats with the curved(22*) distributor all in @ 3200rpm and the vacuum advance can(10*) connected to ported on the carb, then tried full manifold vacuum(20* total at idle), and then totally disconnected from any vacuum source. There is an aftermarket front billet metering block(adjustable) by QFT that could possibly solve my running lean issue and off idle stumble, but i'll need one for the rear as well, and im not sure i want to blow that kinda dough on bandaides IMO, i've got the engine timing and carb tuned spot on, but this pinging still persists, im so ready to yank this engine out and take it apart,but thats a last resort.

As for your 700r4 dilema, if the TV cable was connected, chances are it was NOT adjusted correctly, so you pretty much fried all the clutches in the trans if you lost your forward gears and reverse. My malibu was already set up correctly for the 700r4 thats in it, it has the brake switch and the vacuum switch for the TCC lockup/unlock function, so that its more appropriate.

700r4 Painless kit and schematic explaination - https://www.painlessperformance.com/Manuals/60109.pdf
Thanks for all the info.
I did smoke the clutches in the first '86 700r4. After using it successfully in two cars over 10 years (with a B&M shift kit that I installed) I moved it to my '56. The kit could be heavy duty or street/strip. I had used it in heavy duty but made the changes for s/s for the 56. Then I could hardly get it into gear without spinning the tires. Line pressure should be 75 psi and was at 150. From online research, I installed a SK700Jr-No stick TV kit but to no avail. After a few test miles the pan had a lot of clutch material and it still didn't work right. The car sat until I found this 91 trans and I figured I would install it as is and take it to a trans shop if the shift was too soft. I'm a mech. engineer and usually am pretty good at understanding set-up tech stuff. The 56 only went about 200 feet this time, so I don't think the clutches fried, but time will tell. I hate to be defeated by a mechanical problem. I have a lot of respect for trans techs! I may have to haul it to a trans shop. To be continued. LOL
Pete

Reactions: 1 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
Thanks for all the info.
I did smoke the clutches in the first '86 700r4. After using it successfully in two cars over 10 years (with a B&M shift kit that I installed) I moved it to my '56. The kit could be heavy duty or street/strip. I had used it in heavy duty but made the changes for s/s for the 56. Then I could hardly get it into gear without spinning the tires. Line pressure should be 75 psi and was at 150. From online research, I installed a SK700Jr-No stick TV kit but to no avail. After a few test miles the pan had a lot of clutch material and it still didn't work right. The car sat until I found this 91 trans and I figured I would install it as is and take it to a trans shop if the shift was too soft. I'm a mech. engineer and usually am pretty good at understanding set-up tech stuff. The 56 only went about 200 feet this time, so I don't think the clutches fried, but time will tell. I hate to be defeated by a mechanical problem. I have a lot of respect for trans techs! I may have to haul it to a trans shop. To be continued. LOL
Pete
There needs to be an emoji that means,”that’s kind of a drag , but at least you ain’t quit !” Lol

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
RWD_PETE

To be honest... i didnt have a pressure guage to use on my 700r4 as it was suggest on many other forums to be more precise, i did everything by feel along with trial and error, while keeping the TV cable(GM 10066475) on the tight side at all times, i've got it all figured out and it runs perfect now, all gear shifts are firm and as soon as it hits 45mph, 4th(OD) kicks in automatically while still on the throttle, before when i set the cable a tad too tight, i had to back off the gas pedal for it to shift into OD and that time i was hitting 50mph.

As for the holley street avenger 770... im going to put that on the back burner soon, i've got a holley 3310-2 comming in from ebay, its exactly like the one i bought back in the mid 90s, but it had a manual choke for a different hotrod(1975 chevelle) i had back then, it went on a street/strip(mostly street) built sbc 355cid engine, carb ran flawlessly for me. Im going to rebuild out of the box stock, with the exception of putting in a secondary spring quick change kit and work it from there, oh, and i've already have a secondary metering block for it along with the longer fuel bowl bolts. I bought that back in the mid 90s too, installed it while running the 1/4mile track, removed it afterwards, then put the metering plate back in the carb, so the secondary mettering block has been sitting in my chester drawer for the past 25yrs.

This is the performance carb that should have been put on the ZZ4 engine in the first place...

Attachments

• Holly 3310-2 carb 1.jpg
    Holly 3310-2 carb 1.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Holly 3310-2 carb 2.jpg
    Holly 3310-2 carb 2.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
I have so much envy, from the car and that chicken coop/ garage. He sure knew it would be in the right hands.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor