Ignition issue. No "Accessory" position

Status
Not open for further replies.

RynoC23

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 5, 2012
Florida
Hey all. I'm looking for information (possible parts needed & difficulty) on the ignition/cylinder in my '85 Monte. I have no accessory position when turning the key backward/counter clockwise. The only way to power anything up is to turn the key forward to Key On Engine Off which obviously uses up the battery life quite a bit faster. The key does rotate backward, but nothing happens and nothing works. Is it some sort of simple fix / a wiring job, or does the cylinder get replaced...??? Grateful for any help. (Oddly enough I also have the same issue in my '70 Firebird as well.) Hoping some of you may have some experience and wisdom to share. Thanks...Ryan

Attachments

• phone 897.jpg
    phone 897.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 405
Mine does not turn backwards at all. I don't think that it has a accessory position from the factory. I could be wrong and if I am then that will be good, lol. I would like to have it so I could listen to my stereo without juicing up my electric choke and fasten seat belt light and everything else.

sounds like the ignition switch has failed or it's not adjusted correctly....you can check the ignition switch if it's installed in the right place by lossening up the bolts and slide it down the column a little. If it's too far up the column the rod won't pull the lever back far enough to give the accessories power. I have that problem with mine cause I didn't adjust it right when I installed it. If I have my tilt steering wheel at full up the accessories won't fire up. It's an easy job to adjust or replace the ignition switch, it's on the right side of the column and it's a white box about 4 inches long. You need to remove the high beam box on the left side of the column to get to the fasteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor