Ignition System

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
While sitting at work (Oreillys), I decided to break out one of the msd ignition boxes and look into the manual and figure out how they work. The cool part I found was the these boxes eliminate the ignition control module in the HEI distributor.

Now my question is is it worth putting one of these boxes in? My HEI distributor is aftermarket with an MSD coil, Cap, Rotor, and stock replacement control module (because mine has gone out 3 times). I thought the aftermarket HEI would be plenty of spark, but one of the other guys I work with says those boxes create a massive spark at the plugs.

I was looking at MSD's Streetfire version.

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
MSD is totally the way to go. a 6AL is great to run. i grabbed the distributer a few days ago and going to be getting my box in a few weeks hopefully.

Ill let you know how big of a difference but i know its signifigant.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
Be Careful,
Don't buy it because it looks cool or you think it will make your car go faster. Your set up does create enough spark for motors that run less than 6K.. and.. have a lower compression, like below 10.5:1. If you have a monster motor that you take to 6K or more it *might* be worth it, but Ill tell you first hand an HEI with a good coil will hold a phenominal amount of RPM and 1/4 runs. I'm not knocking MSD by no means, it's a great system. I just don't want you to expect a difference if you have a mild street motor, you won't see it.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I'm not dumb enough to believe its going to make me go any faster than what I'm doing. I'm doing it more because of the fact that it does create a stronger consistent spark, but at the same time eliminates that damn control module that is known for going out.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
patmckinneyracing said:
but at the same time eliminates that damn control module that is known for going out.

I believe I've heard the MSD boxes are just as bad, if not worse for that.

dedub

Greasemonkey
Aug 18, 2008
N.C. Fort Bragg
patmckinneyracing said:
I'm not dumb enough to believe its going to make me go any faster than what I'm doing. I'm doing it more because of the fact that it does create a stronger consistent spark, but at the same time eliminates that damn control module that is known for going out.
No one called you dumb. After re-reading your original post I caught that you had issues burning them out,... got it. but if you've gone through three then something else is wrong in your ignition system. That just not normal for HEI. A short, bad ground, I don't know?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i've heard that over stock ignition, if you use an aftermarket one it does have a greater amount of spark and in turn, you can also increase the spark plugs gap, allowing more spark to ignite more fuel/air mixture making it more efficent. that may make a LIL gain in hp but not as much as swapping heads or cam.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
I can tell you I put a 6AL on a basically stock 350 years ago. Didn't see any noticeable power increase of course. But I can say the car started easier, and ran smoother. But at the same time, the HEI also had a 20 year old module in it. I ran the car for a few years (summer and winter) with no problems. I gotta say I really like the rev limiter.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
The distributor is an aftermarket setup with mostly MSD parts. The original control module smoked after 6 months and the second one may have been from me cleaning out the distributor with brake cleaner and it knocked some of that white lithium grease out.

BBO Regal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2011
Wichita, KS
I recently upgraded from my 6AL to a Digital 6plus box. Just for the Nitrous and trans brake option that it has. I never had a problem with my 6al, but with my new box i've had to send it back twice now each costing me $94 each time because of a burt out diode and transister. Im about fed up with it. Just my thoughts on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor