Ignorant Kid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf001

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
87GrandPrix said:
Ugh, you know what really grinds my gears the most is the kids that know NOTHING about the car they drive except the color, for instance when trying to make small talk with a guy I know I said (already knowing exactly what he drove)

Me - "Hey man what are you driving now?"
Terry - "I dunno, its blue"
Me - ""...ohh. ok"
Terry - What about you?
Me - "Oh its just an 87 Grand Prix with a 305 v8, 4 BBL Quadrajet Carb"
Terry - "I have no idea what any of that means" (Laughs)
Terry - "How many miles?"
Me - "66k original"

His reply is what pisses me off the most..

Terry - Holy sh*t man, thats a lot.

Obviously the dumbass doesnt realize that even cars from 2005+ have more than 70k miles on them these days, but a car from 87 has 66k, Yes I know the odometer only has 6 squares, but on my original book it says "New engine at 2365 miles" and I talked to my other uncle about it and he says the miles on the car are the new engine minus 2365. So actually my body has 66k, and my engine has about 64,500.

:D I've seen that me too!!

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
blizack said:
Until the fast and the furious came out with that GN, I don't think Gs were ever in the spotlight to get noticed. And also, the g-bodies didn't have anything special to begin with besides appearance. Didn't they all come stock with 305s, 307s or v6s?

I agree

'Ricers' aren't into 4 bangers because they're cool or badass, it's just what's thrown to them by society. If our tv's and magazines and newspapers said something like - well, the SiR gets 32mpg...but when you redline it 24/7 you're getting 18

And a built v8 with overdrive can also get 18 mpg all day long

It's thrown to the whole group that v8's and american cars are bad and the others are better, higher quality, cheaper pricetag, longer lasting, and much cooler.

But in reality it's not that way. If you show a 'ricer' in the correct mainstream way, of a real muscle car with some flare, he's gunna want that a helluva lot more than an old v-tec

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
He claims he has 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and it will go 180mph with a stock 1.8 I4 in a 4000 pounds car that he "lightened a whole shitload" by taking the fenderwells out... [/quote
his speedo is probably in kilometers, he's actually doing just over 30 :lol:
ask him how much weight he took out, then how much stereo he put in.

87GrandPrix

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2009
Michigan
2000.malibu.ls said:
just don't underestimate kids... please, and don't generalize "kids" to refer to all teenagers, Its offensive. Some of us know our stuff, some of us work from minumum wage paycheck to minimum wage paycheck to build our cars. Some teens are idiots and know nothing about cars. There is a guy at my school that has a 3000gt that if I knew I had enough car to run him, would LOVE to show him a few things. He claims he has 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and it will go 180mph with a stock 1.8 I4 in a 4000 pounds car that he "lightened a whole shitload" by taking the fenderwells out...

so point in case "some" teens are "kids" but do not refer to my generation as all being kids because imports and tuners are not all meant to be fast. I like using every inch of the petal on my malibu. I know its not fast, I just want it to look sportier "cooler" sound better, and be what I want it to be.

on the otherhand, I had my first kill in my malibu the other night. A big *ss chevy van was next to me at a light and I thought it was kinda cool (sat kinda high and was rugged) looking so I was staring at it and so he floored it when the light changed (could hear the RPM's) so I stayed right next to him, barely touching the gas until about 20 mph, when I hit 20 I burried it until I touched 45 and let off. about a second or five later that van flew past me and I could see the owner staring me down. me and my brother just started dieing laughing, it was the funniest races Ive heard of..

Haha im 16 too, work for minimum wage at a restaurant and put all my money into my car all the time also. When I said "Kids" I really meant "Kids from my school".

No offense minimum wage G-Body brother. :lol:

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
I forgot you were my age too! haha, now that I see where your coming from with this, there are lots of car illiterate people at my school who know they got a "nissan", what color it is and that it might have a radio. It really sucks because im a one of a kind person at my school who atcually likes cars.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
blizack said:
Until the fast and the furious came out with that GN, I don't think Gs were ever in the spotlight to get noticed. And also, the g-bodies didn't have anything special to begin with besides appearance. Didn't they all come stock with 305s, 307s or v6s?
G-Bodies are quite popular in the Flint area, they have been all over for years. They're the last true full-frame car GM built, and the rear suspension only requires a few tweaks to hook like nobody's business (no backhalf or super wide tires required).
Case in point, a 10.5 (I believe), stock style suspension (aftermarket trailing arms is all), SBC-powered '78 Malibu from one of the locals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4f4bxgk_1k

The turbo wasn't an 'option' so much as it was a package. The T-Type Regals and Grand Nationals were in the spotlight for the turbo, but the Monte Carlo also had a limited run, as did the late 80s T-Type Trans Am. A few G-Bodies also came with 350s, but they weren't near as fast as the turbo Regals/GNs. The turbo Monte was a bit of a failed attempt compared to the GN, but I think the turbo TA performed fairly well. The turbo Regals/GNs actually had to be de-tuned because they were faster than the Corvettes of the day... and God forbid somebody makes a car that's faster than the Corvette :lol:

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
The 89 20th anniversary Trans Am (turbo) was I believe the fastest of all the turbo cars made. It had all the engine upgrades than the GNX did, plus a couple extra to the oiling system. That doesn't account for the extra speed though, F-bodies are a bit lighter than G-bodies obviously.

They're also quite rare... Only 1,555 were ever made.

I can not overstate how much I would love to own one... Even though the prospect of 20 year old electronics sort of scares me. (Good thing I'll never have enough money to buy one, it'll save me from that nightmare. :lol: )

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
But weren't the turbos options?

It seems to me that the older cars had bigger engines when stock and were faster as well. Or were those big engines from the 60s and 70s options too?

Yes, and yes. Cars in the 60's and 70's came with 6 cylinders as the base motors and you could get a v8 for extra $. My wagon(see sig V) came standard with a 225ci slant 6, option for a sb 318 like mine, or a bb 400 or 440. Just that the perfromance cars are the ones that lived on. Or the non performance cars were modified. There are more hemi cars now then ever before. (Sorry about the mopar rant).

As for the generalization of "kids", well I am one too. I'm 16 also. All my money goes into my cars. I've been playing with my cutlass since I was 13. I have had my share of people who see me as a stereotypical kid, and it does hurt, unfortunatly it's mostly true.
In my high school it's me and a few buddies that really are into cars. Most of the rest are into their 1.8l passat that "I beat a corvette" with. To which I responded "Did he know you were racing?" To which he responds "Ive got a turbo in my sh*t" So I respond "better watch what you eat"...
Btw, be happy you 2 are making minimum wage. I'd love to have that, I can't even find a job. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor