I'll be working on the Railroad

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, after after another frustrating year of making 50ish K. I saw both CP and CN Rail were hiring, double the money once trained. CP was supposed to hire me in October with $5000 bonus, last communication was Nov 17. They wouldn't answer my email or answer the phone or return messages. We are a major CN hub here in Melville, expensive place to live for a tiny City with a half Canadian Tire. My house is partially paid for and locked in for 3 years and 4 months of the 5 year Mortgage term at 2.19%. With my Wife on disability, something has to give, money is really tight. So I applied at CN, made it through to the drug test, don't drink or do any drugs, passed along with the background check. So CP Rail contacts me out of the blue, nothing at Wynyard till July. That is fine, I asked about training wage and the bonus, waffling on the signing bonus. Apology for me feeling ignored, claimed her boss sent me an email to train in January. I checked my email and junk everyday, BS. Multiple email and phone calls ignored. I called, she was snotty and clarified the 1129.45 per week but the bonus has to be approved by her bosses boss. Supposedly talked about it on Friday. Still heard nothing. I was wanting to move closer to Fishing Lake. Meanwhile CN offered me a job at $900 a week but 5 mins from my house. We had many discussions, my garage here sucks, to small and uninsulated, house needs more as well and this house needs work, some things easily fixed, like the roof, others like the 75 amp service, my garage is part of that, not so much. We have added 10 grand in windows and doors, never seen such bad sliding windows when we moved in, furnace, hot water tanks and fences also added. I hate how close the neighbours are but I hate people. Either way, we decided on CN and I agreed to start training in Winnipeg on March 13th. They informed me now the training wage is $1180 gross a week due to the collective bargaining agreement. So instead of making the same or slightly less than my current job, it will be a slight raise over driving fuel truck. By fall, I should be making double my current wage.

• Winner
Reactions: 23 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Congrats on the new job. If you move, are you going to be able to evict all the kids? Double bonus.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Well, after after another frustrating year of making 50ish K. I saw both CP and CN Rail were hiring, double the money once trained. CP was supposed to hire me in October with $5000 bonus, last communication was Nov 17. They wouldn't answer my email or answer the phone or return messages. We are a major CN hub here in Melville, expensive place to live for a tiny City with a half Canadian Tire. My house is partially paid for and locked in for 3 years and 4 months of the 5 year Mortgage term at 2.19%. With my Wife on disability, something has to give, money is really tight. So I applied at CN, made it through to the drug test, don't drink or do any drugs, passed along with the background check. So CP Rail contacts me out of the blue, nothing at Wynyard till July. That is fine, I asked about training wage and the bonus, waffling on the signing bonus. Apology for me feeling ignored, claimed her boss sent me an email to train in January. I checked my email and junk everyday, BS. Multiple email and phone calls ignored. I called, she was snotty and clarified the 1129.45 per week but the bonus has to be approved by her bosses boss. Supposedly talked about it on Friday. Still heard nothing. I was wanting to move closer to Fishing Lake. Meanwhile CN offered me a job at $900 a week but 5 mins from my house. We had many discussions, my garage here sucks, to small and uninsulated, house needs more as well and this house needs work, some things easily fixed, like the roof, others like the 75 amp service, my garage is part of that, not so much. We have added 10 grand in windows and doors, never seen such bad sliding windows when we moved in, furnace, hot water tanks and fences also added. I hate how close the neighbours are but I hate people. Either way, we decided on CN and I agreed to start training in Winnipeg on March 13th. They informed me now the training wage is $1180 gross a week due to the collective bargaining agreement. So instead of making the same or slightly less than my current job, it will be a slight raise over driving fuel truck. By fall, I should be making double my current wage.
Even with the new laws barring non-residents from buying houses in Canada for a while, moving to a new house up there is no joke.

There's a good bit I'm not enamored with down here in, as 64nailhead calls it, the Land of Lee, so, among other places, the wife and I looked at the maritimes in addition to Coastal Maine. Then they passed the ban which, ok, fine with that. Found a nice oceanfront piece of land, 20 acres, semi updated old farmhouse, orchard... but it's on Passamaquaddy Bay which means you get the exaggerated tides, and, I'd presume amplified sea level rises as well when things melt/expand... So we passed.

I guess I'd say make sure to either have an offer accepted subject to sale of your old place, or, list yourself as subject to seller finding suitable housing. Otherwise it's still tricky out there

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Congrats on the new job. If you move, are you going to be able to evict all the kids? Double bonus.
That’s referred to as ‘Happy Father’s Day For Me’

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The eviction doesn't last, they will return much like cockroaches.

• Haha

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If the new house has a nice enough garage, doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
They sending you to Transcona for the training?

Just be careful ascending and descending from those diesels, neighbor across the street is a CP engineer and he popped a knee while unassing a diesel during a shift. Not sure how he managed it but something along the line of having a foot slip from underneath him when he hit the crushed rock road bed.

Nick

Nov 4, 2012
Congrats, just don't be wrecking trains like they did in East Palestine Ohio last week.

• Wow

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor