I'm make my monte a Targa Top,Anyone know how 2 do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

84cutlassjuggalo

G-Body Guru
Jun 25, 2010
Morell PEI Canada
the easiest way to get a targa top to work is to buy a supra. No matter how cool it will look It will take a of or work to make work and one mistake could ruin the whole car. Function over forum. no matter how good it could look it's not worth the risk in my own opinion.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
I actually had a similar plan. I like the look of Targa tops. It is a large undertaking. You have to redesign the A-pillar to have an "exo-skeleton" that is a front roll loop with the structural triangulation under the dash. Same has to be done on the B-pillar and a structural bar across the roof between B-pillars. Once those are built then build the extra structure across the floor in the door opening. If you don't start with a T-top car you are crazy because a T-top already has the top structure you would need for the Targa part.

It was not the design and work to do the conversion that changed my mind. What you may not think about is the size, weight, and awkwardness of the Targa roof that would be created on a G-body. It is a huge piece to pull out by one person and then where to put it? Hell T-tops take up most of the trunk as is and they sit on top of each other.

L.A.X-RATED

Royal Smart Person
Aug 25, 2010
Maybe "oldtinsmith"will chime in on this and tell us how he is gonna pull off a targa top on his el camino!!!

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
L.A.X-RATED said:
Maybe "oldtinsmith"will chime in on this and tell us how he is gonna pull off a targa top on his el camino!!!

I haven't even thought about the "Targa top" in my trucklet since throwing out the idea. 2012 has not been a very good year in the oldtinman's land! ... CWPottenger points about "T-tops" being more convenient are good but IMO, people have a tendency to over engineer projects because of unknown results from lack of research. Over engineering is NOT a bad thing most of the time. In the "Targa project", I think the only negatives from over engineering would be the added weight and the extra time needed. ... I would guess that the greenhouse/cockpit of the El Camino(being shorter longitudinally then the coupe and the integrated bed wall) would be stronger then the coupe (as a unit). I will be removing the quarter window from my trucklet and extending the roof skin to tie the "B" and "C" posts together (I just like the look I had with my old 1969 El Camino!). Also, while I have the interior out, I plan to install a floor to roof/side to side, form fitted "loop" reinforcement behind the seats. Put a brace under the dash from "A" pillar base to "A" pillar base brace and forward to the cowl (to replace the reinforcements GM removed when they downsized!). Lastly, underhood F-41 bracing. ...The chassis mods will be, boxing the frame, installing my new class III hitch receiver (tying the rear frame rails together), use the "G-Force" transmission mount (I want the lateral reinforcement), and a stout jounce/GP brace (maybe the SC&C unit). I'm still researching the body mounts as to which material make-up to use at each mount location. ...Sorry for the long post! I felt it was needed to explain some of the things I'll be doing to help with a "Targa/T-top" install at a later date if I decide to go that way!

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor