Improving Regal aerodynamics

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Best place for hood vents is the middle of the hood above the exhaust manifolds. Middle of the hood has lower pressure than rear, and above the exhaust manifolds is the highest heat. Too far back/too close to the windshield and the pressure increases (so air flows in/not out at speed)

Forward on a G-body is fine, too for the radiator pressure differential, but it may not remove much exhaust heat if too far forward.

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
What do you use for an intake on the 2+2? I assume it would be a bit closer to my format. (being a V8, assuming non-TPI.)

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Went for a moderate drive and the temp seems to hover between 180 and 190, so it's sort of "resting" on the fans right now (which kick on at 185).

if you have a 180° thermostat and your fans come on at 185° then you fans will be constantly on. A switch that closes at 185° will open at 170° but your thermostat will restrict the flow to bring the temperature back up to 180°

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
I think the radiator thermostat is a 160, but the thermostat for the fans is a 185.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If air can flow freely under the bumper to the radiator (the turbo cars have block off baffling, so that can't be there), with a deep core support airdam, you can nearly block off the entire grill opening and it won't overheat with electric fans.

Every F-body and Corvette since 1982.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Best place for hood vents is the middle of the hood above the exhaust manifolds. Middle of the hood has lower pressure than rear, and above the exhaust manifolds is the highest heat. Too far back/too close to the windshield and the pressure increases (so air flows in/not out at speed)
I had actually seen a video testing for the best location to add hood vents and it did end up being in the middle over the exhaust and when I made mine that is where I installed them.
IMG_0357.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
It makes sense to me for what little I've learned so far about air pressure. Middle of the hood. After the turbulence at the front end and before it piles up at the windshield.
I'm totally on-board for hood vents now. Just have to come up with a good design. My car isn't garage kept and I do occasionally end up driving in rain (even look forward to a rare autocross in it) so I'd like to be able to shut them at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor