In the Market for a Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2012
Now that my Regal is getting near the paint stage, I've decided it cannot be my daily driver, I love it too much. I decided I need a truck, esspecially for the landscaping work I do in the summertime. I decided to look for a late eighties to mid nineties Ford F series. My requirements for it in order of most important to least important are-

1.) Manual Transmission- I want a real truck.
2.) 8- ft. bed- I have to be able to get at least a couple yards of mulch in it, so a 6 footer just won't do.
3.) 4x4- I want to drive it in the winter.
4.) Little to no rust- I don't mind doing some minor rust repair on it, but I don't want my Regal all over again.
5.) Single cab, preferably.

I'm not too concerned about what motor it has. The V-8 is nice, but I'm very fond of the 300 CI straight-6, too. I'm looking in the $2,000-2500 price range.

So, is my request realistic? Any opinions on these trucks? Any thoughts, comments or concerns, please let me know.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The Mazda 5 spd in these trucks suck. First there was the slave issue and gears ripped out, if pushed hard. If not pushed hard, the trans should last. Get a newer one with sequential EFI, they are big solid, gas guzzling pigs and Ford's carbs were no hell.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I think that what you are looking for is very doable. I agree with the previous reply about the slave cylinders shooting the crap, but no moore than others, just a pain to replace since it is inside the bellhousing. I think the I6 is a good choice as far as longevity. Infact, my dad has a '96 he would like to get rid of that fits your bill pretty well.

Nov 4, 2012
mac61891 said:
I think that what you are looking for is very doable. I agree with the previous reply about the slave cylinders shooting the crap, but no moore than others, just a pain to replace since it is inside the bellhousing. I think the I6 is a good choice as far as longevity. Infact, my dad has a '96 he would like to get rid of that fits your bill pretty well.

Okay, I really want a stick shift though. I don't believe on automatics in pickups. Manuals are too much fun to drive. And driving a manual is a great way to get girls to like you! 8)

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
no your price is about right,i bought my 1997 ford f250 4x4 . 460 engine Manuel trans. i use it to plow. has a little rust . i paid 2300.00 it had 124 thousand when i bought it, i also pull a 16 ft trailer for lawn care.does what i need gas is a diff story lol.

mac61891

Greasemonkey
Jun 20, 2013
West Central IL
I would choose a manual most every day as well. I have had occasions when I prefered an automatic, but mostly manuals. I don't think girls care anymore about it, though. Most girls just want it to look good to thier friends when you drop them off. They are petty that way, but what can you do. Can't live without them.

King_V

Master Mechanic
Jul 17, 2013
Sicklerville, NJ
mac61891 said:
Most girls just want it to look good to thier friends when you drop them off. They are petty that way, but what can you do. Can't live without them.

I am reminded of a line from True Lies . . "Can't live with 'em... can't shoot 'em."

That said, let's see, it's not just girls . . unless "girls" count women past their 20s and 30s as well.

Some talk the talk of liking unusual vehicles, but don't walk the walk. Or want perfection from the get-go.

For example, my ex-wife seems to have liked the classics, even potential projects, and mentioned how she doesn't need to impress anyone with what she drives, but now drives a (used) Acura.

An ex-girlfriend talked about classics, admitted to wanting to be able to afford a nice one, also made noises about wanting to look at something cheap to learn on. Numerous times made disparaging comments on how some cars are just pretentious, and how people are just trying to impress others with what they drive whether or not they can afford it. She has a (used) Benz which is straining her budget somewhat.

Uhh . . I just "thread-jacked" didn't I? :? My apologies, digression over!

Nov 4, 2012
Haha, I know a lot of guys who can't drive stick shifts, so I have one up on them. Except the fact I don't have a manual to drive! I learned on my buddy's Honda.

Lol, anyways, I do need a truck for my landscaping job in the summer, and I'd like to be able to pull a trailer and plow snow. I don't need a really fancy truck, just a workhorse. A small 4-6" lift would be a bonus, but absolutely not necessary. I found a couple that are nice, including a 1989 F-250 I-6 5 speed manual, with the 8 ft bed and single cab, 68,000 miles, and little to no rust, but no 4X4. The list price was $1,875 for it. If it weren't for the no 4x4, I'd have bought it on the spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor