Infamous Ticking noise while driving

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChevyHeaven

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 23, 2013
I've been googling 'ticking' or 'pinging' and still not sure where I qualify.
I semi rebuilt a 72 olds 350, tore it down cleaned it up, replaced the gaskets oil pump and all the necessary tune up parts. I've since been driving it and drives pretty good but not great.

It has a firm 'tick tick tick tick tick tick' in revolutions when accelerating.

With that being said the first 2 weeks of driving my timing was off and I was using the lovely 307 CCC carb (unplugged because it just wouldn't start with it hooked up. Only drove it cuz well....had to get to work right?)
My theory is maybe its just a timing issue? May need adjusted more? Maybe a fouled spark plug from running so rich for 2 weeks of mild driving?
I'll do more trouble shooting tomorrow with the daylight, till then. Any experience with the ticking noise while accelerating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor