Innovations

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, there was a corn field right beside me so I started a fire, grabbed some corn and made enough ethanol to get my car home....:cool:

• Creative
Reactions: 2 users

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
sometime you have to get creative when there is no time or money for parts. There used to be a show called Roadkill ( or at least the first 3 or 4 episodes ) dedicated to these kind of shenanigans.
The type of people who do this always have a ratchet set plus a toolbox containing zip ties, vice grips, a roll of GOOD duct tape and a roll of Gaffer Tape in their trunk.

Tech friend had a rotted fuel line. He used a big pepsi bottle to collect as much fuel as it would hold, drained his coolant overflow and filled it with gasoline then ran the line to the pump to limp the car into work a couple miles instead of paying for a tow.

Drove to work for 2+ weeks with vice grips on the rear flex line due to a rotted backing plate on my comanche, and the calais, and come to think of it the beater 'bu. Drove for almost a year with looped power steering lines on my Calais when the pump went out as I knew it was destined for the scrap heap. Kept the windshield really well waxed as the wipers didnt work on beater 'bu ( works like rainx ). Used a couple of " abandoned" street signs and box of a hundred tech screws for floors in my Calais. We also bolted 3x2 box tubing side to side thru the floor because my friends said when they were driving behind they could see the tops of the bucket seats get closer together every time I went over a bump LOL. ( those 2 fixes held for years ) Welded the diff in a friends cutlass when the pin came out and it grenaded the rear.

Yup pretty redneck but only called in car-sick once in my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
I ran out of gas in the middle of nowhere, there was a corn field right beside me so I started a fire, grabbed some corn and made enough ethanol to get my car home....:cool:
Sure you did....
120217030610-ghost-rider-spirit-of-vengeance-story-top.jpg

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
When are family business was still open I used to drive an 86 Chevy rollback and the clutch slave went bad so I disconnected the safety switch on the pedal and jumped it so I could start it in gear and shifted it with no clutch to get me home from New Jersey to North East PA. Now it's it's rotting in the weeds with a blown head gasket
IMG_20170731_073623.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Nov 4, 2012
Was in my old red truck when I blew a tire on I-79 about 50 miles from home with no spare on board. The metal edge of the rim was on touching the road. Walked along the roadside and found a blown 18 wheeler retread that was just the tread section, sidewalls missing. So I used the trucks jack to lift up the truck, put the 18 wheeler tire around my rim and blown tire remains, and used a ratchet strap to hold it on the rim. Drove along the side of the road 4 miles to a tire shop at the next exit. Didn't even destroy the rim. Ratchet strap was ruined though. Tire shop owner was laughing his *ss off at me.

• Creative
Reactions: 5 users

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
No pictures to share but I have a few... although not as creative as some of those above.

My brother sheered all the bushings in the steering column for the three-on-the-tree three speed shifter in my Dad's 4X4 75 Blazer. He was stranded at high school and it was stuck in third gear. I was able to limp the thing home by putting it in 4-wheel low at stops and use the gearing to get it rolling, then push in the clutch and pull it out of low once I was going. I did this at every stop until I was able to get home.

An old Girlfriend's Mustang II overheated. I used a coin to remove the overflow canister off the fenderwell and dumped the contents back into the radiator to make it to the next exit on the freeway.

My last beater had a terminal crack in the washer fluid reservoir. Countless attempts to seal it proved fruitless. So I yanked the whole tank, drilled a hole in the cap of the 1 gallon washer fluid bottle, ran the hose into the bottle and zip tied it to the master cylinder. It actually worked better because I could go a whole winter without having to refill the much smaller stock reservoir.

Reactions: 1 users

RegalBegal

G-Body Guru
Jul 10, 2009
Goldsboro, NC
Wish I had pictures of this. Back in the late 80's, a buddy of mine had a POS Vega wagon with a bad fuel pump. He didn't want to spend money on it. So, I took a fuel tank off an old snowblower and hung it with 2 wire coat hangers via holes on the roof over the rear seat. Then ran clear fuel line through the dash to the carb for gravity feed. He ran it that way for a year untill it died. The kicker was, he smoked in the car all the time! suprised he never blew himself up. :friday:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor