Intake coating

Coltrane

Apprentice
Jul 6, 2020
Hey everyone! So I have my motor together, and everything looks great…except the intake manifold (picture attached). I know the correct answer is I should have had it powder coated ot just replaced while the engine was apart, but too late, haha. There’s nothing wrong with it other than the look - is there anything I can do to make it look better? I never cared about something like that before, but the reat of the motor (and car) are mint so I don’t want it to stick out too bad.
IMG_1678.jpeg

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
On the cheap some rattle can aluminum will brighten it up. Another thing would be media blast the top side & either leave it or clear coat it.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I used to use a wire wheel on a drill to clean my old Performer manifold up, then clear coat it. Media blasting always scared me off for fear of something being left behind and sucked into a cylinder.

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you're not intrested in r&i it,see if that paint will wash off w/brake clean or something go from there..

Reactions: 1 users

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
I've used VHT aluminum header paint but that was on a brand new intake that I didn't install on the engine, yet. You're gonna hafta cure the paint per the instructions on the can. Makes clean up a breeze.

Last edited:

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
What is the body color of the car?

Is the dark grey old paint?? If it is, use aviation paint remover.

Once you get it back to clean aluminum, wash down good with acetone. Then spray with good quality primer, primer sealer and put in kitchen oven about 180 to 225 for about 4 hours.

Then wash down again and shoot body color, back in oven 180 to 225 for about 2 hours.

Sand lettering and logos to shine metal, then clear coat.

Let cure in sun.

OR just clean good with hot soapy water and let dry.

Primer it and spray body color, skip the paint removal steps... Just paint over existing...

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor