Interchangability?Or what's the best/worst G-body to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorholmes

Master Mechanic
Oct 1, 2007
Is there a guide for parts interchange between the various models and years?

I try to cheat and look at Summit's site under, say, spindles...to see if they list 78-88 Monte and 78-87 regal etc but I think their website is not complete.

What I really want to know is, can I pick up a 82 Regal or a 79 GP and have the same luck finding stuff like tubular A-arms and rear disc brake kits as I would have with an '86 M/C SS???? I'm shopping around for a ride and my problem is that I love Regals, MCs, Cutlass, and GPs and I guess I don't care which one I buy. (Yes I also like redheads, blondes, and brunettes equally) I just want to avoid getting a model year that will be hard to get performance suspension parts for. I guess I was naive thinking they were all the same chassis.

Thanks

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Well I think the 81-87 cutlass and regals have the most interchangable parts, like the doors. Other than that pretty much anything will be interchangable as far as internals.

78mali350

Royal Smart Person
May 13, 2007
Pratt, KS
i don't have a good answer but that is a great question. kinda wish i would have done that with the malibu cause turns out there are some parts that are only for the 78 and NO other years, yeah found that one out the hard way good luck on your search!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Best overall is the turbo Regal from 86-87 ( especially the 87 GNX). It's the only one that comes with a good engine from the factory. The GP is the worst from an interchangeability standpoint, but the mechanicals are interchangeable with other G bodies with the same drivetrain. The only one that uses anything different as far as the chassis goes is the GNX with it's unique rear suspension. There is also a minor ball joint or wheel bearing issue when trying to interchange 1978 parts with other years, but I do not remember the specifics.

andrewmp6

Master Mechanic
Sep 9, 2007
the frame and drivetrain is easy i forgot about the grand national/t type.the grand prix has a small aftermarket not much on interior parts or body but id still love to clone a 2+2.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
ASSUMING BOTH ARE 2-DOOR MODELS:

I myself have an 84 Grand Prix. What I have found the hardest thing to get GOOD parts for is the sheetmetal (esp. doors). GPs seem to be the least supported of all G-Bodies. Monte Carlo's the most supported. Regal/Cutlass use the same doors, but the rest is different. The 78-80 generation 2 door is different from 81-87 generation in terms of sheetmetal. With that said, I would bet that you will have an easier time with the 82 Regal.

As for suspension, keep in mind some 82-92? S-10 2WD Truck parts will interchange on the front end (control arms, spindles).

As for emisions, I don't know how strict they are where you live. The 79 GP won't have the pesky ECM.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
As far as the suspension mods you want to do. Aftermarket springs, sway bars, shocks, brake kits, etc should fit all 78-88 2 and 4 dr cars. (I am not postitive but El Caminos and Wagons may have differences in the rear suspension, but I could be wrong on that). Like someone else said the differences between the 78-80 cars and the 81 -88 cars were minor when it comes to drive train and suspension. Will not impact the installation of aftermarket suspension.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
IMO Monte Carlos are the easiest as they came with the chev motor to begin with (easier 350 swap for more HP cheaper ) and most of the Malibu / El Camino sheetmetal & interior parts swap over.

But drivetrain wise all the G-Body cars use the same series of Suspension, Motors & Transmissions so it really is about preferance of body style.

I myself wanted an '86 / '87 Cutlass 442 as I like the styling and the 8.5 rear end ( 442 & GN only ) but I didn't want the hassle of swapping out the 307 Olds motor to a chev 350.

So I myself settled for my '84 SS so I can upgrade to a 350 but still have it look like the orig 305.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
Not much of a hassle....a whole bunch of 80s GBodies came with the Chevy 305.....including the much revered 86 GP 2+2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor