interior

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 14, 2008
Hi I'm new here and need some help. I want to change my headrest covers on my G/N. How do I get them out of the seatbacks. Thanks for your help. :? :?

Been a while since I've done it, but all you need to do is slide a hacksaw blade down the back (or was it the front?) and pull up on the headrest. There is a locking device in there that the hacksaw blade will release.

I tried this technique but could not remove the headrest. Can anybody give me some advice? Thanks!

Ok, here are the five secret steps. 🙂

1.) Patience
2.) Pull the headrest all of the way up
3.) Slide the slim-jim/blade into the slot from the front side of the seat.
4.) Push the headreset down with the slim-jim blade in place (centered is best)
5.) Pull up on the headrest it should come out.

Step one was most important. There are two holes in the blade that is on the bottom of the headrest. There must be some type of spring loaded piston inside that engages with the two holes on the blade.

Done.

People always try to make this more complicated than it needs to be. Assuming the headrest fits into the seat via a wide metal stem like is on the Monte Carlos, all you have to do is lean the seat back, get into the back seat, wrap your legs around the back of the seat so you have more control...so you don't knock yourself out when it comes loose, and then wrap your arms under the headrest like you are doing curls. Then, you just firmly, but forcefully pull it straight out.

I've done this half a dozen times; it is really that simple.

Thanks for the info -- your method seems easier than mine. Where were you an hour ago! 🙂

I would assume that all of the g-body headrests are similar.

foxtrot_lima_bravo said:
Thanks for the info -- your method seems easier than mine. Where were you an hour ago! 🙂
Ha...sorry. Now that you've had it out of there, you can see what makes it difficult to get out. Several years ago, I struggled with it for days the first time before I figured it out. Now you know. You are also one of the few people who has actually managed to do it with a metal insert though...so that's pretty impressive. There isn't much room with that plastic sleeve in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor