International dieslel motor question

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamaroAdam73

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2009
Hilton head island, SC / Wilmington, NC
Hey guys i've got a question if anyone can help, My brother has a 1984 F250 with the 6.9 Liter International diesel motor, Indirect fuel injection, IDI i think it's called.

Well the motors vapor locked, what can we do to solve this problem?

coolant flush? or try draining all the coolant and turn the water pump by hand or use a drill to turn it. just an idea.

are you sure it's vapor locked? vapor lock is when the fuel vaporizes and blocks the fuel line. this is almost impossible to do on a diesel.
are you getting any fuel? has the weather been getting below freezing? you may have water in the line or the fuel filter,that froze or some fuel gelling. it's not usually a problem, but i doubt they usually need to winterize fuel in your area.

It is pretty much impossible to vapor lock a small diesel. If it cranks but won't start, it could be a few different things. Is the glow plug relay working, are the glow plugs getting power, and do you have fuel?? 😱 :shock: Get someone to crank it, and while it's cranking give it a couple shots of starting fluid. Not too much or you will bind it up, just enough to see if will fire up. Good luck.
............................mickey-d :lol:

i'm not too keen on starting fluid and diesels. they operate at such a high compression that having any liquid in the cylinder, especially a highly volatile one, is a good way to break things. hell, there have been many cases of people breaking head bolts from using starting fluid!

come on mickey. you know how it goes. i'll just try a little. ok, a little more. what's the worst that can happen? :lol:
though i'd love to see a video of the head lifting off from the explosion 8)

Well, considering the wording of the post, he's a rookie!! Bad things can happen!! I'm not used to helping people that don't know about this kind of stuff. :blam: I don't think the head would come off, but it sure would lock it down for a little while. I did see a cylinder head blow off a Thermo-King reefer compressor, when some dumbass tech started the engine with the discharge valve closed!! It was lucky that no one was in front of the compressor when that sucker flew off!! :lol: ...................................mickey-d

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor