Introducing Social Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Hey guys. So actually following through on some of the stuff we talked about in that longish "state of the forum" post from a while back, I've gone ahead and installed this "social groups" addon.

Here you can create your own groups, clubs, whatever and basically have little sub-communities based on stuff like geography, interests, and probably other stuff I haven't thought of yet.

There will no doubt be a few bumps in the road as we (and that includes me) figures out all the little things and limitations and what it can and can't do, but this way hopefully we can create a better community overall.

I have gone ahead and started with the "Oklahoma G-Body" group. Maybe we can start to use that to plan meetups, cruises, etc. and get to know our local GBF members better, maybe even make new IRL friends etc.

The only rules I'm going to put on this (for now, I'm sure that will change) is that there are NO GROUPS that fit into any of these categories
  • Political affiliation. This should be self explanatory
  • Religious affiliation. Also self explanatory
  • NOTHING that is explicitly exclusive to any group of people. i.e. no "people that hate big wheels" or
    no redheads allowed" or the like.
  • The usual rules apply regarding content and behavior inside the groups.
These are not open for interpretation or argument. I will delete without discussion any new groups that I think are detrimental to the community overall.

We can also use this thread to report problems, questions, issues, and I'll do the same for any oddities or stuff that pops up that we all need to know about.

Give it a go! And be prepared for a learning curve.... I am.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
NOTHING that is explicitly exclusive to any group of people. i.e. no "people that hate big wheels" or
no redheads allowed" or the like.
^^^^THIS
So much SJW in one rule. There goes my "anti-LS" group shot to hell. :rofl:

EDIT: I don't even like the term "SJW", but I couldn't think of anything else that fit.....

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
So can we create groups by type of car? All I saw was by geography.

Like "Long Roof Elitists" or "Limited to Buick Limiteds"?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
🤷‍♂️ DGAF. To me this falls under "don't be a dick" and shouldn't have to be spelled out explicitly.

Now, your example. Let's look at how that one could be done without being a dick

• "Stock motors in G-Bodies"
  • "Cars without LS swaps"
  • "Pre-1999 Engines only"
  • You get the idea
None of those would be pointing a finger at someone and otherwise denigrating anyone for choosing an LS swap. I don't hate anyone for putting an LS in their g-body. Not sure why anyone would feel the need to create such a group in the first place. how that's "SJW" <insert sPoNgEbOb GiF hErE> I don't know.

Not only that I open myself up for being discriminatory (or otherwise allowing it to happen) and I'm not having it.

TL;DR version:

negativewaves.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
So can we create groups by type of car? All I saw was by geography.

Like "Long Roof Elitists" or "Limited to Buick Limiteds"?

Yes. absolutely. I don't have a subcategory for "interests" or whatever yet, but that's cool. I figure we'll "discover" the best way to categorize them and build a proper heirarchy so it isn't just a random list of things, but

YES.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
AHHHHHH There needs to be top-level categories set up in order to add new groups to them. :doh: see, learning curve.

OK, so I'm gonna do that right now. I'll put:

General Interests
G-Body Groups (for wagons, 4-doors, any g-body variants, etc.)

entertaining suggestions for new top level categories right here..

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
GP403 , I merely made a small note to something I found humorous; you asked for the explanation....
My plan was to just refrain from participation in said groups. Shall I dare mention the irony of creating inclusive groups that are supposed to be non-exclusive?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
GP403 , I merely made a small note to something I found humorous; you asked for the explanation....
My plan was to just refrain from participation in said groups. Shall I dare mention the irony of creating inclusive groups that are supposed to be non-exclusive?

Point taken. I think you understand where I'm coming from and just choose to be difficult. :ROFLMAO: Trying to keep things positive and not create a toxic atmosphere of groups like "Big Wheels Suck" "People who want to make fun of other people's cars"and the like.

That's it. Didn't think of a better way to describe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor