Introducing Social Groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
When a post is made in one of the groups, will it still show up with the list of new posts?

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
When a post is made in one of the groups, will it still show up with the list of new posts?

It doesn't look like its doing that. I will definitely look to see why. If it *can* do it (and just isn't) I may put those on a separate tab in the new posts window, but yeah it should probably do that in some manner.

Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Looks like I have to approve new groups, which is the expected behavior. If you create a group and I don't get around to approving it (or not) please send me a message. Doesn't look like its notifying me that there's anything in that queue... :unsure:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Could you please create a new tab for "Group Replies"? My primary mode of navigation is the "Replies" tab. You get a wide breadth of what people are talking about. I don't want to have to join a group if I think I can help someone out (that's actually why I'm here, BTW).

Reactions: 1 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Could you please create a new tab for "Group Replies"? My primary mode of navigation is the "Replies" tab. You get a wide breadth of what people are talking about. I don't want to have to join a group if I think I can help someone out (that's actually why I'm here, BTW).

Haven't gotten to that part yet, but yeah, see what I can do.

Reactions: 2 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

OK, at first glance it does not look like I can do that. The "forum stats" addon doesn't know about the "groups" addon and therefore doesn't even know its there or how to get its content. Thinking about that I don't know if the "f

However you do have a "groups feed" which will show all the activity in the groups you've joined....

Yeah its a separate thing, not ideal but.... I will keep looking.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
OK, so discovery time.... When you create a new group, by default it does not have its own "forum"

BUT if you add a forum to it (as the group admin you should have that ability, also need to make sure the permissions structure works right) you should be able to add one, and then voila, the posts in that forum show up on the main page "replies" tab. Did not expect that behavior but it kind of solves the problem automagically. I think there was a default setting to add a forum to new groups, but I do know its an option when creating the group...

Like I said, learning curve.

EDIT: And no, it will not create a forum in the group by default. I think that might be a bug, since it says it should. In your group, on the left sidebar there's a "discussions" link. That's where your group forum should be, and if there isn't one, group admins can create it from there with the "add forum" button.

Last edited:

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Also looks like you should get notifications (email and/or the bell) whenever new content (posts,threads,etc.) get posted into groups you've joined. So that's another vector for you to find new content in your groups.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I think I fixed the ability to invite users to your group. If you look on the left hand sidebar there should be a box for "Invite Users" that you can (one at a time) invite users that way. The limit per day is set to 10 to avoid spamming the greater community with invites, but I'm open to change that some.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Oh, and there's a "Media" tab there, too, where the group admin should create an album for the group. New media posted to that will show up on the home page "new media" block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor