Is my 1987 S10 a G Body? A stupid question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
OP gets points for asking, rather than coming in here and telling us it's a G body.
You mean to say a late 80s FWD ultra rare production 3800 Series I V6 car isn't a Gbody?

How Dare You Greta GIF

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
The 7.5 drum style rear end in my S-10 is close to being a clone of the rear end in my SS Monte Carlo. Most of the major components swap from one to the other. Think that the backing plates might attach to the flanges on the rear end differently, but not certain as I seem to recall that they both use two small bolts down on the flange and that huge pivot stud up at the top where the upper forks of the brake shoes butt up to and get pushed around by the wheel/brake cylinder.

At some point in time past there was a discussion about all this here on the board, because someone wanted to use G-body front spindles on their S-10 (wasn't me asking.) The consensus was that GM had used left over G suspension components when they introduced the S series pickups and that a swap would be fairly easy. Not real sure what the benefit would have been except possibly having a wider choice/variety when it came to selecting rotors and calipers.

Nick

turbogeezer

Greasemonkey
May 9, 2012
Thanks. Because of this and the other spindle/caliber post, i will re-think my plans for front and rear brakes. I had not considerd bigger front brakes. .... My decision to replace booster/cylinder/valve is primarily cosmetic - i.e. getting more chrome under hood. A secondary reason is i want the truck to go back to my son and on to my grandson. I want it around for another 20 years. When, i am finished, almost everything will have been replaced/updated, or restored. ... But i like to know if anybody knows what g body car b/c/v will go into my '87 S10.
Let me know if you find a chrome booster and master cylinder. I have a 2000 s-10 and i"m looking for more bling. Bill. WV

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
If chrome is the only goal in mind here, Eastwood offers a powder coat finish that very closely mimics chrome yet offers better durability and resistance against injury to the finish. If you have a facility that does powder coating near by to you, ask them what if would cost to do a booster can? For the price of a new, still in the bag, never run booster, plus the cost to powder coat it, you might still be ahead of what it would cost for a chrome one. Oh, yeah, powder coat in chrome can be colored or tinted to match other finishes, black for example.

Nick

79yr-Wayne

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2023
The 7.5 drum style rear end in my S-10 is close to being a clone of the rear end in my SS Monte Carlo. Most of the major components swap from one to the other. Think that the backing plates might attach to the flanges on the rear end differently, but not certain as I seem to recall that they both use two small bolts down on the flange and that huge pivot stud up at the top where the upper forks of the brake shoes butt up to and get pushed around by the wheel/brake cylinder.

At some point in time past there was a discussion about all this here on the board, because someone wanted to use G-body front spindles on their S-10 (wasn't me asking.) The consensus was that GM had used left over G suspension components when they introduced the S series pickups and that a swap would be fairly easy. Not real sure what the benefit would have been except possibly having a wider choice/variety when it came to selecting rotors and calipers.

Nick
Thanks very much, Nick. .. .. I've learned quite a bit since signing up to this forum. I'm sure not in same knowledge league as folks on this forum. ........ Still need to know what G Body booster will fit in an '87 S10. But i'm better informed to deal with the many sellers of these chrome boosters.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
So take a measurement of the diameter and thickness of your existing booster and hit the pick a part for one from an 87 G-body; any version will do. Measure that and if the measurements are identical, then you might have your victim. I say might because the other thing to look out for is the layout of the four studs that go through the firewall and pick up the mounting bracket for the pedal. C-C they have to match what is used by the S-10 stocker or the booster won't snuggle up tight to the firewall like it is supposed to.

Nick

79yr-Wayne

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2023
So take a measurement of the diameter and thickness of your existing booster and hit the pick a part for one from an 87 G-body; any version will do. Measure that and if the measurements are identical, then you might have your victim. I say might because the other thing to look out for is the layout of the four studs that go through the firewall and pick up the mounting bracket for the pedal. C-C they have to match what is used by the S-10 stocker or the booster won't snuggle up tight to the firewall like it is supposed to.

Nick
Thanks. That's a great idea. And most of the many boosters I've looked at have 'specs' that include firewall bolt pattern

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I guess my 99 GTP 3.8 with Eaton Supercharger was not a G Body but a W Body?
That is a W Body... I'm throwing banter in regards to a person in here that has a rather unique rare car, well has like 12 of them... and are for sale..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor