Is my 1987 S10 a G Body? A stupid question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79yr-Wayne

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2023
I have 90% restored and upgraded my youngest son's first vehicle a1987 S10. (Which he will sooner or later get back). I knew nothing when I started. I've learned some, PAINFULLY, thru a lot of trial and error. ... I know little about Brakes, which are next. I HAVE figured out the front up-grade (just single piston) and the rear drum to disc conversion (single piston) ... What i can't find or figure out is a booster/cylinder/valve replacement. I want a shiny chrome replacement unit that I (with no skills) can swap in. ..... I don't know if my S10 is a G body. In a lot of places I've seen S10 parts described as G Body, but NEVER seen it included in a list of GBody vehicles. .. However i thought, i'd ask via this forum, if anyone knows for certain what GBody vehicle has a kit that i could swap into the S10. .... I've spent a lot of time on this (all the big parts places, a half doz EBay stores, S10 chat etc). ..... I'm probably not looking in right places . But maybe somebody out there can help me? My only possibility came from response from an EBay seller who said that the '67-'69 Camaro unit would work. But he nas never answered my follow-up email. ... THANKS.

Attachments

• IMG20230218192304.jpg
    IMG20230218192304.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
At least you realize it is a stupid question. Regardless of that it is NOT a G Body it is GM designation "S-Series" Swap out the front spindles from another S-10 Blazer (2wh drive that has the dual piston calipers). You don't need to swap out Master Cy/Booster/Proportion valve.

This is my 87 after I did the conversion ( a direct swap in to my G Body)

Attachments

• 20210123_175042.jpg
    20210123_175042.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yup 1998-05 Blazer 2wd ZQ8 Two Piston Calipers with the proper Spindles go directly on the 2wd S10...you want to go up from there Corvette Brakes go on..

LINES HOOKED.jpg

79yr-Wayne

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2023
At least you realize it is a stupid question. Regardless of that it is NOT a G Body it is GM designation "S-Series" Swap out the front spindles from another S-10 Blazer (2wh drive that has the dual piston calipers). You don't need to swap out Master Cy/Booster/Proportion valve.

This is my 87 after I did the conversion ( a direct swap in to my G Body)
Thanks. Because of this and the other spindle/caliber post, i will re-think my plans for front and rear brakes. I had not considerd bigger front brakes. .... My decision to replace booster/cylinder/valve is primarily cosmetic - i.e. getting more chrome under hood. A secondary reason is i want the truck to go back to my son and on to my grandson. I want it around for another 20 years. When, i am finished, almost everything will have been replaced/updated, or restored. ... But i like to know if anybody knows what g body car b/c/v will go into my '87 S10.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
My daily/personal is an 03 S-10, disc front/drum rear, with the booster. If you are going 4 corner disc then you need a booster from The 4 door Blazer model. For sourcing, maybe Rock Auto or Summit for a basic unit, possibly CPP for something pretty.

Nick

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
OP gets points for asking, rather than coming in here and telling us it's a G body.

How big are the drums? Are they the same terrible design as what the 8.5" diff got on the trucks (leading/trailing?)? The one that doesn't hold an adjustment and flat out doesn't stop? If so, definitely switch over to the 4 wheel discs from the later model. I can't stand the rear disc swaps that use front S10/F-body calipers. If the drums are the duo-servo design you'll be OK, just make sure it's all fresh in there. I don't know what they put on the lighter 7.5" axles.

79yr-Wayne

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 19, 2023
My daily/personal is an 03 S-10, disc front/drum rear, with the booster. If you are going 4 corner disc then you need a booster from The 4 door Blazer model. For sourcing, maybe Rock Auto or Summit for a basic unit, possibly CPP for something pretty.

Nick
Thanks. I'll use the 4dr Blazer search

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor