Is the 81 dash interchangable

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
I am looking at an '81 Monte and it has what looks like a 6" Tach with a big shift light mounted to the dash. Could I take the dash and guages out of an SS and mount them ? Would it fit ? And most importantly would they work ?

I like the look and body lines of the car, and it has most of the work I want to do already done to the car so I am pondering.....

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
Fit? Yes. Work? Yes, if u switch the whole insert. The gauge housing and the circuit board on the back need swapped out. The screws on the sides of the insert r missing on the SS inserts from 86-88 The ones visible when its assembled. The upper and lower screws (7 total) are in the same locations.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
sweet. The dash has the speedo on 1 side and a clock on the other + idiot lights.

I got some more pics of the car tonite and it looks good. Body seems good to very good with all the chrome intact. Interior is fair ( centre console is missing and replaced with an aftermarket shifter ).

I gotta make some time to drive an hour to go see it.

Wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor