Is this forged?

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
DEA09306-E57B-4B82-B708-80124F102CAD.png

Here’s my receipt with the part number. When I searched that part number the results were quite different. I’ll give them a call today and see what they have to say.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Stock photos are hard to judge because they will make it look perfect. Thing to pay attention to is how sharp the corners are. Hammer forged won't do that.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Looks like they hosed you. While there's nothing wrong with a cast part if you're just using it on the street and not planning on abusing it, that's one thing. But if you pay extra for forged and get a cast part, that's messed up. Also, it appears the parting line may have a razor thin parting line indicating cast to me. I'm no metallurgist, but from my experience, forged steel usually has wider parting lines due to the die shape.

Oldsmobile forged crank parting line
1688038893658.png

Cast crank parting line
1688038960316.png

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I don't have any real experience with hammer forged products.
Hammer forged looks like that Crankshaft above, all the edges are rounded and nothing really super sharp on it unless machined that way. The excess is ground off and the die parting line is not thin, not like a cast mold.

That's why I'm saying what I'm saying but then again it all comes down to the actual process and who did it.

My Pinion Yoke is Forged, and it's smooth all over with rounded edges. Bought it back in 2007 so quality might be a little different too.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
I know they’re the same I was just pointing out that I’m used to the stuff being stamped spicer is all. I talked to 3 different people today from where I ordered the part and only the second one gave me any hassle. They’re taking care of it and sending me the correct one. I offered to email them a picture of the receipt and the screen shot that for some reason I had taken off the website with a picture and the $116 price tag. When I checked it today before the phone call the same part was on sale for $180. Maybe they corrected the price after they shipped mine 3 days ago? All is well now. Thanks everyone

Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
FDD7C06E-DBDC-46A3-81CB-B6087E12C28B.png

This is the screenshot I saved from last week when I ordered it and that’s what they’re sending me.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor