Is this forged?

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
272058EC-0DEC-455F-813E-D216160B593F.jpeg

39159CFF-317F-4F99-BE0F-E553C77847D7.jpeg
59F6A4B5-C4EF-4176-8839-D4CAB6D807A6.jpeg
I paid for a forged Dana pinion yoke for my 9 inch. I got a box from a different company full of Dana u joints/slip yoke/weld yokes all marked spicer and in dana boxes for my driveshaft. This one came to me in a plastic bag in a normal cardboard box and it’s not marked spicer anywhere. What say the hive?

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I can only offer general cast vs forged tell-tales...

A cast part often shows a crisp line where the mold was separated while forged is usually a bit more muddled, and, a forged steel piece normally has a crisper clearer ring when tapped while cast is more deadened, although, the difference isn't exactly night and day. But if you run a similar ring test on a bunch of cast parts vs a bunch of the same forged pieces you may be able to tell the difference depending on your 'ear' for pitch recognition.

Really, I'd be concerned why parts I paid for weren't stamped as coming from the manufacturer I paid for regardless.

Too much Chinese garbage amd knockoff stuff these days for me to go down the unknown origin road

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
That’s mostly what I’m concerned about. I’m pretty sure all of the other dana parts I’ve ever used were marked spicer I feel like and from the picture on the website I ordered it from, the image they used is marked spicer

xylorex

Master Mechanic
Aug 2, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Looks cast to me. I relate it to pipe fittings.

Malleable iron, cast iron, cast brass, cast bronze fittings are all "cast" and have that rough finish on the outside like your picture. All forged steel fittings have a smooth finish. Forged material is much more dense

Reactions: 1 users

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
That’s the first thing I thought when I looked at it was cast. I hopped on the internet machine and it seems like most of the Dana stuff is smooth and they mention something about a black finish. And they’re all marked spicer. I guess I’ll call the company I ordered it from tomorrow…

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Looks cast to me. I relate it to pipe fittings.

Malleable iron, cast iron, cast brass, cast bronze fittings are all "cast" and have that rough finish on the outside like your picture. All forged steel fittings have a smooth finish. Forged material is much more dense
How much hammer forged stuff have you seen? That is definitely not cast.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That’s the first thing I thought when I looked at it was cast. I hopped on the internet machine and it seems like most of the Dana stuff is smooth and they mention something about a black finish. And they’re all marked spicer. I guess I’ll call the company I ordered it from tomorrow…
Point 1 is I can't recall seeing genuine spicer parts that weren't marked as theirs, and, Point 2 is that Chinese companies release products all the time where they will grade a metal to be a certain thing, but, their manufacturing methods yield an inferior product to western counterparts that bear the same grading.

Just call. Maybe even call a different company first.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Last night just first look, it looks cast. I see sand marks and mold imperfection.

The caveat to this is I worked for the company late 2000 that was making the aluminum knuckles for the Pontiac Aztec. Those were a powered metal forging and even on those pieces had a similar look in certain spots, yet no sand was ever in use. Dies were coated with heavy application of graphite mold release and would cause roughness in the original foundry release prior to finishing.

Did some research on this and pics attached.

What's interesting is on the items known as cast steel do not look much different than some that are stated as being forged. If you notice the forgings, those are smooth in fit and finish while none of the cast units are.

Pic 1. Cast Steel
Screenshot_20230628-225327.png

Pic 2. Forged
Screenshot_20230628-225848.png

Pic 3. Cast marketed as forged but notice the air bubbles...
Screenshot_20230628-223728.png

Pic 4. Forged marketed as forged...
Screenshot_20230628-223700.png

Quite frankly I'm not sure what you have. It looks cast to me and then possibly finished by a forging operation to set the spline.

Things that make you go hmmmm....

Mighty

Greasemonkey
Oct 22, 2022
A323467E-F82C-414F-8A56-FF5E2AED7BD5.jpeg
283D8AFB-A2EA-4DEB-A4F0-9725BCF1506A.jpeg
0485CF90-47D3-4D04-BB21-C0C658C7C6C6.jpeg

Here’s my other order of driveshaft parts. None of these are forged. I just ordered the forged dana pinion yoke because it was was like $19 more than a non forged one so I figured what the heck.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor