Is your G-body "Old School" or "Restomod"?

Is your G-body "Old School" or "Restomod"?

• "Old School"

Votes: 34 59.6%
  • "Restomod"

Votes: 23 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yep! That's a factor of being young and inexperienced. I ordered the wrong wires, but made them work but cutting about 1/2" off the straight ends....backyard mechanic stuff there lol!
Well it is an olds and if it had an olds they would have worked fine so right car right wire wrong motor? Lol
I picked "Old School" because my current car is mechanically the way I wanted one when I was high school (well TH400 instead of a Muncie).

I also think Old School because it has a carb, 15 inch wheels, big block Chevy with 12.5 compression, 4.10 gears, no overdrive, no air conditioning...it's a basic hot rod.

To me a restomod would include overdrives (not all G-body cars had 200-4R as an option). Sanden style after market A/C, fuel injection, LS swap, turbo, pro charger, huge wheels, huge brakes....swoopy ergonomic interior, fast power windows....

Nothing wrong with any of it, the a/c and overdrives will make these cars live longer and be more enjoyable.
I guess I'm old school to then I went with an olds 455 with an M-21 but I kept the A/C it has 4.11s but I want a taller gear

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
With 12.5:1 compression, what do you run for fuel? Does it see street duty of just the track?

Iron square ports, 12.5 to 1, small by today's standards solid roller cam, Holley Strip Dominator Tall, 4500 foot brake converter, reverse manual TH400, 4.10 spool....950 e85 green Quick Fuel carb (take that carbon foot print!)

Drive the crap out of it. Wound up pretty good right now with the 28x9 slicks, had 29.5x10.5 went I geared it...now those are considered 'big' tire or class of races.

It currently drinks e85 that was $1.59 a gallon yesterday...it's really only about e70 here from the pump.

Runs about 180° F in the current warm weather.

Not cool to try an order while it's idling in the drive thru....

It's loud, obnoxious, fast, and a handful to drive. Flat black (mostly) with a mismatched cowl hood. I love it's imperfection. Function over form on this one.

I am stacking a pump gas, serpentine belt, a/c having big block Malibu as well...

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
I wouldn't know how to vote....upgraded some suspension with new stock type parts (nothing fancy, heavier Moog springs,etc.), C5 wheels with appropriate tires (still not on road yet so those may go by the wayside for something else due to using spacers. If I ever get the custom rear I may keep them), Old School 1966 Olds 330 with Carb, but I Have a FiTech unit to install. That would happen after I figure out what is wrong with the 200-4R. Interior is in boxes in garage and would consist of Summit seats, harnesses, Stock type carpet with new heat and sound insulation. Brakes would be new Summit calipers, pads and rotors. Nothing fancy.

Like I said, I don't know what I'd vote.

Reactions: 1 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I wouldn't know how to vote....upgraded some suspension with new stock type parts (nothing fancy, heavier Moog springs,etc.), C5 wheels with appropriate tires (still not on road yet so those may go by the wayside for something else due to using spacers. If I ever get the custom rear I may keep them), Old School 1966 Olds 330 with Carb, but I Have a FiTech unit to install. That would happen after I figure out what is wrong with the 200-4R. Interior is in boxes in garage and would consist of Summit seats, harnesses, Stock type carpet with new heat and sound insulation. Brakes would be new Summit calipers, pads and rotors. Nothing fancy.

Like I said, I don't know what I'd vote.
I'd say for you're setup, most likely old school since there isn't a "middle ground" option due to the upgrades you've listed such as the efi on the olds motor.

Just my .02

• Agree

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I'd say for you're setup, most likely old school since there isn't a "middle ground" option due to the upgrades you've listed such as the efi on the olds motor.

Just my .02
I think all of us g-body guys (and girls) are just true hot rodders mixing and matching old and new to make our application do what we want it to do how we want

• Agree
Reactions: 7 users

michmalibuman

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2017
Mine is old school small block,4-speed,benchseat,8-track ,and steel wheels with dog-dish caps

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

shadyduk1979

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 30, 2005
bellingham, ma
Total restomod here. My car was the best I could do with high school money, now some years later it has a 6.2l ls, umi catalog thrown at it, ls1 camaro brakes...

It was old school way back but now I want to be able to hang with the modern muscle.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Total restomod here. My car was the best I could do with high school money, now some years later it has a 6.2l ls, umi catalog thrown at it, ls1 camaro brakes...

It was old school way back but now I want to be able to hang with the modern muscle.
:worthless:... lets see that 6.2L tucked in there!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Collector

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Hoofddorp,Netherlands,Europe
I think its restomod and a bit !
1979 MC with a 305 running on LPG, its getting a th200r4 and rebuild rear axle (3.42)
Its rusted as it can be, and is currently in the process of being rustorated.
Made some alterations on the door as the bottom nearly fell out.
Doing all the work myself, and slowly its becoming a car again.
Custom door handle that works

wXzmYCcm.jpg

3memVBpm.jpg

RWbw2alm.jpg

U8Lxh11m.jpg

McxOSoPm.jpg

And this is how it turned out

UG6lxY7l.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor