BUILD THREAD JRP's '87 Regal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I was in the same boat but slightly better, a tiny 12 volt compressor to inflate tires. My other 2 compressors would not build air pressure past 40 psi. My Emax Hulk compressor is rated at 1.5 CFM more at 40 psi and I have 45 gallons of storage. I ran a HVLP gun almost steady and it kept up. I needed this super quiet oiless compressor, another loud one would have to go outside in a make shift building. Even behind a divider wall or on the opposite side of your two car garage should be adequate. My compressor is right beside me when working and I hate loud noises.

Reactions: 1 users
Nov 4, 2012
I was in the same boat but slightly better, a tiny 12 volt compressor to inflate tires. My other 2 compressors would not build air pressure past 40 psi. My Emax Hulk compressor is rated at 1.5 CFM more at 40 psi and I have 45 gallons of storage. I ran a HVLP gun almost steady and it kept up. I needed this super quiet oiless compressor, another loud one would have to go outside in a make shift building. Even behind a divider wall or on the opposite side of your two car garage should be adequate. My compressor is right beside me when working and I hate loud noises.

I stuck with an oilless one because I've had filters fail and oil get through the line and ruin paint jobs and air hoses. With oilless you (in theory) don't need two separate hoses for paint and one for everything else.

My plan is to keep this one as stationary as possible. I hated moving my old compressor around. I have this one in a pretty good spot I think, and I'm going to buy a 100 ft hose retractable hose reel and mount it somewhere along the beam that runs between the middle of the two bays. That way I should be able to reach anywhere in the garage and pretty far out into the driveway.

Like I said it's not my dream compressor setup, but I got by with a much smaller compressor for a long time.

Reactions: 3 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Can we expect some Regal related progress soon?

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Good point about the oiless compressor, never thought of it dumping oil in the line, fine for air tools, for painting, very bad. I had an oiled compressor just as loud as my other Coleman oiless compressor, talking 100 DB loud, so not all of them are quieter and none are as quiet as my Emax oiless. Man are the good retractable hose reels expensive but they sure are nice.

Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I bought an 80 gallon 2 stage 5.5 hp Craftsman in the 90s. Before that I had all sorts of portables and stationery compressors of sizes from 2-5 hp. There always seemed to be alot more water with the smaller ones. When i bought my house it had a small ( useless ) 1 car garage under the front porch. After building my 2 story addition onto the house with my garage , I closed up the 1 car like a shed and installed the new compressor in there and piped it into the new garage. The filters and regulator are mounted on the garage wall with an inline drain infront of them. It’s worked really good for me. About the only way I hear the compressor is when I either go in the basement or outside the garage.

Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
Okay, okay, okay, I'm (mostly) back from tripping on Tide Pods. :giggle:

Now that I've got an actual ****ing air compressor, I feel like I can commence with some work on this mother****er. Fired up the compressor for the first time today, it's noisy as hell but still not as noisy as my old one. I pulled the cover back while I waited for it to get up to pressure. Once it was up to pressure I got out my blow gun and blew most of the dust off. Took it all in for a few minutes and tried to figure out where the hell I left off. I figure I need to do this one part at a time so the firewall seems like a good place to start. I got my die grinder out and it is all locked up so I chucked it. It wasn't a very good one anyways. So I need to get over to Harbor Freight and buy a couple right angle die grinders and some roloc arbors. I like to have one for 2" roloc discs and another for 3" roloc discs.

Then I can get to stripping the firewall down. Once that is done, I don't know what paint I should use on it. I'd like to use the same paint for the rest of the chassis, frame, core support, etc. This compressor claims it can run an HVLP gun. I don't think it'll paint an entire car but it should be able to do a firewall.

Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Duplicolor satin looks factory imo. Slight sheen. I use it for everything that is/was black on my car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Duplicolor out of a can is decent and is my preferred also. I experimented with Krylon last week and it suuuucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor