Junkyard alternator/electric fan swap (back from the yard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I am currently running a stock replacement 63 amp alternator in my malibu. I plan on running dual fans from an lt1 camaro, lumina, or ford taurus. Maybe a Mark VIII if I'm lucky. I'm worried that the electrical system will not be able to keep up with the fans along with the other accessories. I'm not running AC or anything else that would cause a serious draw as my car is mainly hot rodded. So what model chevy would have the highest amp alternator in the local yard?

Also, what models do people commonly swap serpentine setups into their g bodies? Is this swap really worth it as I don't see any benefit to it from the v belt setup other than not having to worry about belt tension. Thanks guys.

Re: Junkyard alternator swap

if it were me, I'd go looking for a 1988-1998 C/K 1500 series pickup with a 305/350 .... this way you know the parts are common and replacements are easy to find. Grab EVERYTHING from the same donor - you really don't want to get into mix-n-match unless you really know your part fitments. Snag the brackets, p/s pump, alternator, mounting hardware - anything that you might remotely think is needed! .... although I'd go to an auto parts store and buy a water pump and belt for that same application (I got a weird thing about using used water pumps and I use nothing 2nd hand rubber).
You'll likely get a CS-130 alternator ... 130 amps should MORE than enough to do your tasks.
In addition to less worry about tension. You'll see less drag on the accessories (read less wear/tear and a totally unnoticible minor increase in power). There is more contact area between belt and pulley - so less chance for slipping/throwing. Plus it looks cleaner. Wish there was a true, affordable setup for the Olds ::hint, hint::

patmckinneyracing said:
I remember there was a 90 caprice in the yard that looked similar to the caprices in the 80's. It had an 8.5 3.42 posi in it with 12 HD brakes and a v8 in it, so based on this alternator tech it should have the CS130. http://www.extreme4wheelin.com/tech/alt ... s/tech.htm

HD brakes, a 8.5 (probably 5 on 5 bolt pattern) car probably had a tow package or was destined for service (i.e. cop or cab). I think it's safe to assume it had an upgraded charging system. See if it's got the fans you want too. Nothing like one stop shopping.

A steel 'horseshoe' serpentine setup won't work from an '88-'98 C/K truck, the steering pulley hits 4-bolt steering covers. All the aluminum bracket serpentine setups from those and S-Series trucks/SUVs should work fine though. Going to a CS from SI alone would be a good upgrade.

Is there any possibility that the CS swap would overload the old SI system in my malibu? I don't think that caprice had electric fans but the front end was wrecked anyway if I remember right.

I already have a single S blade fan, but it doesn't have a shroud and it's some "no name" electric fan. I looked and can't seem to find any brand or markings on it except a "12V" white sticker on it. I had this on the front of the radiator as a "pusher" fan coupled with a flex fan. I can definately see the benefit in ridding the added weight of a spacer and flex fan off the front end of the motor moreso than a serpentine swap.

• Informative
Reactions: ELKMEANO

If you can figure out a way to mount it (most CS alternators are part of a serpentine system) then it will work, you'll just need a v-belt pulley instead of serpentine.

I think another thing that will be needed in doing the 10si to CS-130 swap would be an adapter plug from the new alternator to the existing harness. There is two types. One that has the resistor to excite the alternator and one without.
These can be purchased at your local parts store. I believe Painless makes one...and I believe GM as well.
I also think a heavier gage wire is required from the + lug to the battery.
I'll have to find the write-up and post it. Also there might need to be a slight modification to the bracket.

DrRansom442 said:
You'll likely get a CS-130 alternator ... 130 amps should MORE than enough to do your tasks.

Actually, the CS-130 is NOT 130 amps. There are two common versions, 85 and 105 amps. The CS130s on the FWD 3800 Series II motors have the 6:00/12:00 mounting lugs that let you bolt them up to the stock brackets if you want to stay with V-belts. NAPA (and others) even sell a short adapter harness that makes this a plug-in swap.

Here is from a post where I had to replace mine.

"I really wanted a bolt in deal, no wire splicing, no nothing.

Did some research this a.m. and found a alternator for a 1985 "High Performance" Camaro with the HO 305G engine had a 94 amper.

I got one from Carquest for $80 amd it bolted right in.

Puts out 14.70 volts at idle and will see how it does on my "lunch time" test drive"

Ended up working great and still is today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor