Alternator wiring using C5/C6 Corvette Alternator

Wire coming from starter is the sense wire. Remove it's connection from the starter and connect it to the nut on the back of the alternator.
On the stock 10SI alternator the 12.volts from the starter is split with one leg going to the post and another going to one of the 2 spade terminals on the regulator. My question was not about powering the post. My question was on the plug of the Corvette alternataor.

Coming from the starter is the sense wire. It is not needed on the CS and AD style.

As stated, only the "L" is needed. As Key On Engine On, which on the 78 OEM wire set it is the orange wire.

Coming from the starter is the sense wire. It is not needed on the CS and AD style.

As stated, only the "L" is needed. As Key On Engine On, which on the 78 OEM wire set it is the orange wire.
My 78 was an untouched original car. It had 2 red wires that went to the starter. One went to the post on the alternator (which I removed long ago) and the second was in the regulator plug pictured here. This wire also goes to the starter. My 78 doesn't have an orange wire. It does have a brown wire in the regulator plug.

Attachments

• 20240924_160026.jpg
    20240924_160026.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12
Orange is ACC. On with key on engine running. GM standard. Don't worry about that... Too much confusion.

C5 Style Alternator notice style of connector.
Screenshot_2024-09-24-13-23-46-417.jpg

Notice Connector conversion you need.
Screenshot_2024-09-23-18-38-58-361.jpg

Pink wire tape off ... Don't need.

Brown wire connect to Brown wire from your 78.

Reactions: ELCAM
My 78 was an untouched original car. It had 2 red wires that went to the starter. One went to the post on the alternator (which I removed long ago) and the second was in the regulator plug pictured here. This wire also goes to the starter. My 78 doesn't have an orange wire. It does have a brown wire in the regulator plug.
Yep. Brown wire is Lamp or Guage. Marked as "1" or "I" on back of alternator. It is the one on the left.

The Red or Red with Black (or other) Tracer is the sense wire coming from the starter junction. This is the spade on the right. It is marked "S" or "2" on back of Alternator. The C5 Alternator doesn't need it. You can cut and disregard.

Last edited:
Yep. Brown wire is Lamp or Guage. Marked as "1" or "I" on back of alternator. It is the one on the left.

The Red or Red with Black (or other) Tracer is the sense wire coming from the starter junction. This is the spade on the right. It is marked "S" or "2" on back of Alternator.

The C5 Alternator doesn't need it. You can cut and disregard.
To throw something else into the mix. I am using the Chevrolet Performance engine controls harness and E67 computer with my swap. This harness is based on the 2012 to 2015 ZL1 harness. It instructs to connect the orange wire from the Chevrolet Performance harness to B on the Corvette alternator plug. I would like to keep my volt gauge operational. Should I connect the brown wire go the C terminal on the Corvette alternator plug?

Attachments

• 20240924_165109.jpg
    20240924_165109.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Can you send part number or photo of actual alternator being used or will be used. This way we can double check and ensure everything will work as needed and no damage to ECM or electrical system.

Can you send part number or photo of actual alternator being used or will be used. This way we can double check and ensure everything will work as needed and no damage to ECM or electrical system.
I am using a 145 Amp alternator for a 2003 Corvette. It's the one without the decoupler pulley. OEM numbers 10305776, 10305776A, 10305776B, 10327513A, 10350161, 10353441, 15791159, 15841233

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor