Junkyard alternator/electric fan swap (back from the yard)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Junkyard alternator swap

On a side note, those Mark VIII fans pull a ton of amperage. They run about 45-50 amps continuously and spike between 70 and 90 amps on startup. Don't skimp on the wiring. They sure do move alot of air though. Good luck and be sure to do a write up when you do the upgrade so we can all see how it works out.

shotgun said:
Here is from a post where I had to replace mine.

"I really wanted a bolt in deal, no wire splicing, no nothing.

Did some research this a.m. and found a alternator for a 1985 "High Performance" Camaro with the HO 305G engine had a 94 amper.

I got one from Carquest for $80 amd it bolted right in.

Puts out 14.70 volts at idle and will see how it does on my "lunch time" test drive"

Ended up working great and still is today.

That's what i got on mine too.

Spent the better part of my afternoon at the yard down here and found exactly what I think I needed. Tons of cadillacs so I pulled a CS144 out of a 96' cadillac (try and find the newest alternator I could as far as year). Then I found two Mark VIII's and both already had their fans pulled. But luckily I came across 4 thunderbirds. 3 had mechanical fans and I found only one that had the electric fan. This fan is huge! It's almost the size of my 20 inch television. I was told the thunderbird fan is the same as the Mark VIII fans and just as big. This wasn't a v8 thunderbird, it was some fancy 6 cylinder. I don't foresee any issues with the alternator not being able to keep up since it should be putting out 145 amps. I tried testing the fan at the yard off my truck battery and it just about flew right off the front of my truck.

So is this thunderbird fan the same as the Mark VIII fan? I know the Mark fan is rated at 4500cfm but not sure if that is true of the thunderbird fan. Here's a pic:

100_2793.jpg

joe_padavano said:
Actually, the CS-130 is NOT 130 amps. There are two common versions, 85 and 105 amps. The CS130s on the FWD 3800 Series II motors have the 6:00/12:00 mounting lugs that let you bolt them up to the stock brackets if you want to stay with V-belts. NAPA (and others) even sell a short adapter harness that makes this a plug-in swap.

my bad I thought the standard was the 108 and the 130 was the upgrade .... guess I better look at that CS I got in storage, was off an 86 Delta with the 3.8 (the old one not the 3800 series). I kept it for a possible upgrade someday, but if it's only 108 amp (or less) I got a 94 amp SI on the car now.

Don't know. All I know is it has a 3.8 V6 and was a T-bird. I don't know squat about fords except which ones had the good fans like the T-bird and Mark VIII lol.

I tested the fan. God Damn that thing starts a hurricane in my garage! I highly recommend this fan to anyone who is looking at an electric fan swap.

DRIVEN said:
On a side note, those Mark VIII fans pull a ton of amperage. They run about 45-50 amps continuously and spike between 70 and 90 amps on startup. Don't skimp on the wiring. They sure do move alot of air though. Good luck and be sure to do a write up when you do the upgrade so we can all see how it works out.

how much air do they pull? because for those amps they better be creating a serious low pressure area in front of the car because that's a lot of work for some fans to be doing.

The Mark VIII/Thunderbird fan is proven to be the highest flowing electric fan and outflows aftermarket fans. I've read that these fans flow 4500cfm on the high setting. They have a low and high setting. I have an S blade single aftermarket electric fan and that thing may flow 1000cfm if I'm lucky. This fan also has the shroud that looks like it will cover up the majority of the radiator.

patmckinneyracing said:
So is this thunderbird fan the same as the Mark VIII fan? I know the Mark fan is rated at 4500cfm but not sure if that is true of the thunderbird fan. Here's a pic:

100_2793.jpg

You've got the right fan. :banana:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor