Junkyard limited slip

Status
Not open for further replies.

85OLDS9vin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2017
Ny
What makes/models can I get a limited slip out of town either put in the carrier itself or replace the entire axle for the 7.5"? Winter is coming and l may need it just in case I got to take it out.....thanks

85OLDS9vin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2017
Ny
While I'm down there....other than the rare 442s and f bodys, are there any other passenger cars or trucks that have any decent rear gears? Honestly I don't know what is in my stock unit (85 olds cutlass supreme) but I'd love to grab a used set above 3.00s

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What makes/models can I get a limited slip out of town either put in the carrier itself or replace the entire axle for the 7.5"? Winter is coming and l may need it just in case I got to take it out.....thanks

you mentioned winter in July??????

executions-squad-florida-firing-307.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Cars you can grab from to replace the entire housing without modifiation?

Another g body

Cars to Just pull the center section from? Depends what you want.

You can get a gov lock 7.5 (don't do it), an auburn cone style (not rebuildable), and eaton, a torsen out of a 4th gen camaro and many more. Anything newer than 1988 will be 28 splines, and yours is currently a 26 so that is something to think about. I ended up snagging a set of stock GN 28 spline axles for cheap on ebay. That allowed me to run the 28 spline 7.5 carrier I got for free. 26 spline posi's can be hard to come by, 28's are usually a little cheaper (used) from what i've seen. You'll also need to consider what gear ratio you want to run so you pick the right series carrier. You can pull a center section from almost any GM vehicle that came with a 7.5 and it will drop right into your housing. Blazers, S10's, Camaro/Firebird, etc.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
^^ good info. The quickest swap would be finding a rear from an SS. It will be 7.5 and 50% chance of it already being an 30 year old Auburn Posi, but will have the 3.42 or 3.73 gearset you are looking for.

Then if its not posi already then as Kwick stated you can either put in a JY centre or spend $500 ( ish ) for a new centre section. 26 spline ( 19663 ) or find a set of 28 spline axles and use ( 19557 ). It "should" live fine behind sub 400 hp on street tires. Your mileage may differ

GN & 442 will have the larger/heavier 8.5 rear but they get big money for some reason.

85OLDS9vin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 22, 2017
Ny
Yes good info indeed. No, no winter in July lol...but I need to dump the open diff before winter and get a limited slip (posi) in. I live on a mile long, 7-15% graded 2 lane, and there will be no way in hell of getting back up with one wheel spinning wildly with even a good inch or two of snow. Sounds to me and from info I found is minus certain f body carriers I may have to spend the 500 bucks and buy a new eaton or Richmond carrier w/limited slip.

Out of curiousity....is there a way to 'temporarily' lock the open diff if I had to use my cutlass one day in a really heavy snow? I've locked them up inside the carrier before by welding them, but I'm not going to do that being it could let up and turning a rear wheel drive locker is really hard and dangerous on hard dry surfaces. Curiosity got me now on that, boredom too lol

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is no way to lock up these types of differentials without welding them. When buying an old posi you have to remember the cones in an Auburn do wear out and are not rebuildable. You won't know if the cones are worn until you test them. The clutch disks in an Eaton can wear out but they can be inspected before you put the carrier in the rear end. The clutch disks can be replaced in an Eaton if they are worn. It may be more worth to buy something new, if I was going to change the Eaton I have I would get one of these...

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Problem is that most 26 spline posi are the Gov Bomb, I mean lock. The 80's Astro vans have mostly 3.23 rear gears, perfect for a 3spd. The occasional one has 3.42 gears but most will be open rear ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor