Just bought some parts need some more though can sum1 help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
buy the gearing that'll work with the carrier and suited to the way you want to drive your vehicle. Personally I like lower gearing so my engine isn't working too hard cruising down the highway....and don't sweat about the price you paid...I don't think there is any of us in here that havn't paid too much for something at one time or another.... :oops:

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Please don't use term "hot cams" (a shoyu burner nomenclature?), your engine has one camshaft only. Go ahead and get a 4.10 ring and pinion, with your OD trans it will be fine.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
thnx

k thanks for the help where would be thebest place to get this.. and what would be the best for wat i bought?

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD

wat do you guys think of this gearing.. would it work with my carrier i just bought?? i dont know if i can get the money by the time is done but if its a good deal i try to get some..

also how much off the 1/4 mile would 4.10 gearing and posi take off

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Trevor what gearing are you refering to? Is there supposed to be a link on your post because I don't see one.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Yes that 4:11 ring/pinion should work just fine with thw carrier you bought and the pricing at $98.00 is more than fair. Trevor, have you ever replaced a ring/pinion? I ask this question because it is not all that difficult to do but real easy to screw up. You also need a dial indicator with stand, a micrometer and a 1/2" impact.

t_visker

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 1, 2006
Brookings, SD
ring and pinion

no i have never swithced one.. but i am a junior in high school and i have Auto class every day for 2 hrs in my school and my teacher used to be a mechanic and knows alot about cars.. so we'll see if he can point me in the right direction..

we are currently gettin the 350 set up and running.. then it will be the rear end.. i hope my 7.5" can hold up..

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Here's a valuable tip:

The ring gear bolts are reverse thread. If you're going to install the gears properly you'll need a needle style torque wrench because the clicker type torque wrenches don't measure torque (and therefore don't click) in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor