Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Strange S60.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

ItsnotaGN

G-Body Guru
May 28, 2016
Colorado
I have 81 Eldorado discs on the rear of a Monte 7.625 axle, the rotors are the same as an early 80's S10 4x4 disc, the only clearance with this small stockish setup are to remove the shocks, you must remove the calipers first. They don't hit each other, there's just not a ton of room. If my rotors were larger, I would actually have more clearance.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
If i go Moser they have powder coating availble for an extra $270 for the unit and cover. IS it worth the extra for that or is it just as good to paint it myself? Alos would 30 Spline be ok for 500-600 crank HP or would you go up to 33 or 35?

Last edited:

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
If i go Moser they have powder coating availble for an extra $270 for the unit and cover. IS it worth the extra for that or is it just as good to paint it myself? Alos would 30 Spline be ok for 500-600 crank HP or would you go up to 33 or 35?
I personally am not always a fan of powder coat because if you ever have to weld anything to it such as a sway bar bracket or some kind of traction Aid you will have to grind it off and it becomes a big pain in the *ss sealing it back up again. My personal pain favorite is Rust-Oleum black Appliance paint as they sell in Home Depot. it's actually epoxy. I have used it on suspension items on many cars and it looks like powder coat and seems to be at least as durable if not more durable.
30 spline axles will take you very very far. more splines are always better as it increases the axle diameter but it also decreases your options as far as carriers go unless of course you were just going to run a spool.

MechMan

Master Mechanic
Sep 13, 2018
Kingsport, TN
I personally am not always a fan of powder coat because if you ever have to weld anything to it such as a sway bar bracket or some kind of traction Aid you will have to grind it off and it becomes a big pain in the *ss sealing it back up again. My personal pain favorite is Rust-Oleum black Appliance paint as they sell in Home Depot. it's actually epoxy. I have used it on suspension items on many cars and it looks like powder coat and seems to be at least as durable if not more durable.
30 spline axles will take you very very far. more splines are always better as it increases the axle diameter but it also decreases your options as far as carriers go unless of course you were just going to run a spool.
If I go 30 Spline I would use the Eaton clutch and spring posi if 33 the Truetrac. Just looking to to make sure the rear can take any abuse that will throw at it. Not looking to drag race but will take her to the track every now and again to open her up.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I know a lot of guys with heavy cars that went into the 10's' with stock GM clutch posi units. Same goes for Grand National with the stock clutch posi carriers. They are VERY durable units. Back in the 90's the hot ticket was the Moroso Brute Strength. I am not familiar with how the after market Eaton posi units are holding up under drag racing. I put one in the 8.5 10 bolt in my 90 GMC Sierra and it was definitely better than the OEM Gov Lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor