Keeping it stock...305 options

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK this is where I get lost I guess .... y'all keep saying 305 and torque .... 305s aren't exactly known to produce good low end torque figures. Want torque? get a Caddy or an Olds.

Thanks for the advice , guys. I do have another option. I can get a used, running vortec 350 motor with a carb intake on it from a reputable shop that I deal with for $650 (if he still has it). I was mainly wanting the 305 due to the fact that I already have it, cutting down on expense. After talking to the machine shop, a stock rebuild will run around $1000 on the 305. So I will change the post up a bit. What mods would i need to do to drop the vortec 350 in? It has a carb intake already. It was pulled running great w/ no smoke, so no need for a rebuild right now. I have the oe 3 spd 200 transmission, which will be replaced with a th350 asap. I do not think this one has the ccc fuel system, pretty certain. I know the motor will physically "drop right in", but there has to be more to it. I know I will need a new flywheel right, going from a 2 piece to a one piece rear main seal. Thanks again for not just replying with a single sentence... "Just get a 350". I knew I could count on you guys! 😀

Check the Vortec engine to see if it has the provision to mount a mechanical fuel pump. Some of the later factory fuel injected engines had the fuel pump mounting boss "cast in", since they had an electric fuel pump mounted in the gas tank.

jmangham said:
I do not think this one has the ccc fuel system, pretty certain.

easiest way to KNOW, look for any electrical connections on the carb. CCC carbs have a TPS and IAC. See the blue and white connectors on this Qjet - it's a CCC model.

btw: if you want a real cruiser, I'd seriously think about replacing your trans with a 200-4r and a nice shift kit, perhaps Trans-Go. A deeper first and an overdrive 4th makes life more livable.

Attachments

• CCCqjet.jpg
    CCCqjet.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 877
My carb is def not the ccc. oe number is 17059222. I am planning on replacing the transmission, just dont know how many 200-4r's are lying around here. I will keep a lookout though, 4th gear would be nice. I talked to the guy today and he still has the vortec 350. He has a cast iron vortec carb intake for a marine application. It is not mounted, he just has it. He bought it to run in a class where they could use vortec heads, but had to keep the cast iron manifold, go figure. He also replaced the intake gaskets and rod bearings just to be safe. said it had around 100 thousand miles on it. I would have been into the 305 for much more than the cost of this running motor, and now I will have a much better platform to build upon. Thanks again for the info.

Question, will the 200-4r "drop right in" as far as crossmember and driveshaft?

and

Would this oe carb (after rebuild) be enough for the 350?

jmangham said:
My carb is def not the ccc. oe number is 17059222. I am planning on replacing the transmission, just dont know how many 200-4r's are lying around here. I will keep a lookout though, 4th gear would be nice. I talked to the guy today and he still has the vortec 350. He has a cast iron vortec carb intake for a marine application. It is not mounted, he just has it. He bought it to run in a class where they could use vortec heads, but had to keep the cast iron manifold, go figure. He also replaced the intake gaskets and rod bearings just to be safe. said it had around 100 thousand miles on it. I would have been into the 305 for much more than the cost of this running motor, and now I will have a much better platform to build upon. Thanks again for the info.

Question, will the 200-4r "drop right in" as far as crossmember and driveshaft?

and

Would this oe carb (after rebuild) be enough for the 350?

driveshaft - yes ... th350 and 200-4r are almost the exact same length .... there is however a different trans crossmember. I can post pix tonight showing the differences. You also want to pay attention to the bellhousing, every 200-4r I've seen was dual Chevy and BOP pattern but some are NOT! You will also have to install new cooler lines (simple) and wire for the lockup torque converter is highly recomended - kits availible through Jegs, Summit, et cetera ... I think there is a 200-4r crossmember for sale on this forum - just listed! The 200-4r also uses TV cables instead of a kickdown and modulator (any auto parts store - jsut use the application teh trans came from for reference.). Since a Qjet is a vacuum secondary, you probably can get by with the 305 carb .... I'd have to look into that a tad more ... if you plan on a rebuild I will say "yes" it's a good core ... the question is "does it need to be rejetted?" I am probably not THE person to ask about carb overhauls - I usually am the one with too many questions. More experienced Q-jetters should weigh in.

1979 will also require a frame extension on the driver's side

If you buy the Vortec, I have one thing to say: XE268H. It's 100% streetable, awesome torque, and you'll be shocked how hard it runs. Other than putting a carbed intake on you don't have to make any other internal changes to the engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI9H1p574Q

you can definitely use the 305 carb. that's the beauty of q-jets. with proper rods/jets they can work on mild v6's through sick *ss v8's.
just double check the carb number with a good trans shop like bowtie overdrives to make sure it has the right geometry for the 200-4r.

Doober said:
If you buy the Vortec, I have one thing to say: XE268H. It's 100% streetable, awesome torque, and you'll be shocked how hard it runs. Other than putting a carbed intake on you don't have to make any other internal changes to the engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI9H1p574Q

Is that the cam that you have in the video. Would it work as well with a th350 instead of the Saginaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor